‘I will have to repeat grade 8’

Inam Makhetha was excited about starting grade 8. When she was in primary school she already knew which high school she wanted to attend. And because of her good marks it was easy to get into the high school of her choice. Her mother did not even experience the frustration that can come with the Gauteng department of education’s online applications for grades 1 and 8. 

Inam was settling in at her new school when, three months in, things took a dramatic twist. Covid-19 hit South Africa. The lockdown was implemented. Since then, she has been at home. 

Before the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Thursday, July 23, Inam was to have been in the last group of learners to return to school — on August 31, as noted by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga in the Government Gazette on July 7. 

The announcement by the president that schools will be closed until August 24, means Inam will have been at home for five months. 

“I am sad. I had told myself that I am left with five years until I finish my studies. But it now seems that I will have to repeat grade 8 next year,” she says. 


She has been studying during the lockdown, using her textbooks. But she is battling with natural sciences and has no one to assist her at home. 

“I cannot ask my friends to help me because the rules by the government say no visits are allowed. So I have left it.” 

Grade 12 will return to school on August 3 and grade 7 on August 10, but Motshekga has yet to announce when other grades will return. 

After Ramaphosa’s address, her department released a statement saying that the break will enable schools to prepare for the return of more grades later in August. 

The president also announced that the academic year will be extended to next year. 

The dean of education at the University of Pretoria, Professor Chika Sehoole, believes there are two determinants for the successful completion of the academic year and whether the grades that were yet to return to class will be ready to progress to the next grade. These are the trimming of the curriculum and how long the academic year would be extended by. 

So far the grades that had returned to school were: 12, 11, 10, 7, 6, 3, R and certain groups of learners from special education needs schools. 

Sehoole cautioned that the extension of the school calendar should not necessarily match the number of months the learners have been at home. Some learners would need time to catch up with school work and an effort will be required to restore things to normality next year. 

“So the earlier this year’s academic year concludes and we prepare for the following academic year, the better,” he says. 

The curriculum will have to be adjusted, according to Sehoole. This will entail looking at what can be done away with and teachers should only focus the core skills that learners need to progress to the next grade. 

In April, the department’s deputy minister, Reginah Mhaule, told Parliament that the curriculum for all grades, except grade 12, would be reworked and that only strategic topics would be covered. 

But some parents, like Milisa Piko, whose daughter Inati attends a school in the Western Cape, are sceptical about the reworking of curriculum and do not believe that it will meet her grade 5 daughter’s needs. 

“I have been with my child all these months. I do not think she is ready to progress to the next stage. And whatever catch-up or reworked curriculum the school will employ, I do not think it will help.”

She says that although Inati has been given schoolwork to do at home, she still is not confident that her daughter would be able to move to the next grade. As it is, she says, Inati is behind by three weeks of the work she is supposed to do at home. Piko attributes this to her also having to work from home and, because she is not a teacher, she found it difficult to explain some of the concepts to her daughter. 

“I have already had a discussion with her that she might have to repeat the grade next year. The teachers could argue otherwise but as a parent I do not think she is ready to progress to the next grade,” says Piko. 

Inati had been at school for two days when Ramaphosa announced the break. 

She misses school. “That made me unhappy. I have been wanting to go back to school since the lockdown and I did not believe it when we were told we are getting a break again. So now I’m stuck in quarantine and I hope they are going to open the schools again.” 

Inati says it has also been difficult to concentrate on her school work at home, especially with her younger brother around. She also misses her friends and was happy to be reunited with them, even if it was just for a couple of days. 

Even though grade 5 was to have returned to class only on August 31 as stated in the July 7 Government Gazette, Inati went back earlier, because schools that could prove they were ready to welcome back more learners were allowed to deviate from the national directive. 

Olwethu Matsipane’s daughter had been at school for two weeks when the break was announced. The school also deviated and allowed children in grade 3 back even though the class was meant to return on July  20.

Matsipane says she was happy with the teaching method her daughter’s school used and she was confident that Entle would quickly catch up with her school work. 

The grade was divided to create a smaller group of learners, which means learners get more individual attention from the teacher, and the groups alternated the days they went to school. 

Entle moved to the school this year from a private school, which had a different curriculum, and Matsipane believes that interaction in the classroom is vital for her daughter. 

She says Entle does her schoolwork at home under her supervision, but only when she is not busy with her own work. She is also concerned because she is not a teacher and does not know what methods teachers use to assess the progress of a learner. 

Matsipane says is not sure whether Entle should move on to the next grade. But Entle says she has “zero confidence” that she will go to grade  4 next year.

“It is much easier to be at school because I always have someone around to help me. Everything just backfired this year.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Bongekile Macupe
Bongekile Macupe is an education reporter at the Mail & Guardian.

Related stories

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds from Zimbabwe

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

The natural resource curse in Cabo Delgado

A humanitarian crisis looms as a violent insurgency continues to sweep over northern Mozambique. As many flee to safety, the question remains: who, or what, fuels the fire?
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Facebook, Instagram indiscriminately flag #EndSars posts as fake news

Fact-checking is appropriate but the platforms’ scattershot approach has resulted in genuine information and messages about Nigerians’ protest against police brutality being silenced

Vitamin therapy is for drips

It may be marketed by influencers, but intravenous vitamin therapy is not necessary and probably not worth the hype, experts say

Murder of anti-mining activist emboldens KZN community

Mam’Ntshangase was described as a fierce critic of mining and ambassador for land rights.

Unite with Nigeria’s ‘Speak Up’ generation protesting against police brutality

Photos of citizens draped in the bloodied flag have spread around the world in the month the country should be celebrating 60 years of independence
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday