Intervention needed to pull steel industry from the brink
/ 12 May 2024

Intervention needed to pull steel industry from the brink

ArcelorMittal SA expects to make a final decision by August on the closure of its long steel operation, which puts 3 500 jobs at risk

This content is restricted to subscribers only.

Join the M&G Community

Our commitment at the Mail & Guardian is to ensure every reader enjoys the finest experience. Join the M&G community and support us in delivering in-depth news to you consistently.

Subscription enables:

  • – M&G community membership
  • – independent journalism
  • – access to all premium articles & features
  • – a digital version of the weekly newspaper
  • – invites to subscriber-only events
  • – the opportunity to test new online features first

Already a subscriber?
.

‘Absolute chaos’ after flooding in the Vaal
/ 21 February 2023

‘Absolute chaos’ after flooding in the Vaal

Homes, roads and bridges destroyed as two more sluice gates opened

This content is restricted to subscribers only.

Join the M&G Community

Our commitment at the Mail & Guardian is to ensure every reader enjoys the finest experience. Join the M&G community and support us in delivering in-depth news to you consistently.

Subscription enables:

  • – M&G community membership
  • – independent journalism
  • – access to all premium articles & features
  • – a digital version of the weekly newspaper
  • – invites to subscriber-only events
  • – the opportunity to test new online features first

Already a subscriber?
.

No image available
/ 1 June 2006

Cosatu outraged at Mittal Steel job cuts

Africa’s largest steel producer Mittal Steel SA will cut 800 jobs through voluntary severance packages by the end of 2006, CEO Davinder Chugh said on Thursday. Of these 800 jobs, about 350 will be at the company’s largest plant at Vanderbijlpark. The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) said on Thursday it was outraged at Mittal’s plan.

No image available
/ 17 September 2004

Nuclear suspect had ‘no deals with Libya’

A Randburg engineer charged under weapons of mass destruction and nuclear energy laws has already told international authorities that he had no business dealings with Libya, the Vanderbijlpark Regional Court heard on Friday. Gerhard Wisser was questioned by German authorities last month.
<li><a class=’standardtextsmall’ href="http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?cg=BreakingNews-National&ao=122333">’Death threats’ in WMD case</a>

No image available
/ 17 September 2004

‘Death threats’ in WMD case

A man who has turned state witness in a weapons of mass destruction (WMD) case has allegedly received death threats, the Vanderbijlpark regional court heard on Friday. This emerged during a bail application by two Randburg engineering company directors who were arrested during an international investigation into a nuclear trafficking network.

No image available
/ 14 September 2004

Bail hearing of nuclear pair delayed

The bail application of two men charged under laws against the proliferation of nuclear weapons was delayed in Vanderbijlpark on Tuesday to give lawyers time to study new documents. Randburg engineering company directors Gerhard Wisser and Daniel Geiges were arrested last Wednesday.