Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Five Britons abducted in Iraq, 10 US troops killed

Gunmen in police uniforms kidnapped five Britons from a government building in Baghdad on Tuesday and the deaths of 10 U.S. soldiers were announced, making May the deadliest month this year for the U.S. military.

The gunmen seized the Britons from a Finance Ministry building in eastern Baghdad. A ministry employee who witnessed the kidnapping said three computer experts and several of their bodyguards were taken in the daylight raid.

Britain’s Foreign Office in London said five Britons were kidnapped. ”Officials from the British embassy in Baghdad are in urgent contact with the Iraqi authorities to establish the facts and to try to secure a swift resolution,” said a spokesperson.

At least 38 people were killed when a bomb on a parked minibus exploded in central Baghdad on Tuesday and a car bomb exploded in a busy market in a southwestern Shi’ite district.

The US military said 10 soldiers had been killed in Iraq in the past two days, taking the total for May to 114, the deadliest month for US troops since November 2004 when 137 US soldiers were killed.

Two were killed on Monday when their helicopter came down under enemy fire in Diyala province north of Baghdad. A force heading to the crash site was struck by roadside bombs that killed six soldiers.

Two other soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol in southern Baghdad. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft

More top stories

Lucas Radebe: ‘My football career began behind my parents’ back’

Soccer legend Lucas ‘Rhoo’ Radebe is a busy man, but he made time in his hectic schedule to speak to Ntombizodwa Makhoba about his fondest childhood memories, how his soccer career began, and, as a father of eight, his legacy

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

Defend journalists and media freedom in Eswatini

Journalists are censored through cruel and illegitimate detention, torture and the removal of means to disseminate information to citizens crying – and dying – for it

It’s safe to open the beaches, says UPL after chemical...

Agrochemical producer UPL said it has paid R250-million in chemical spill clean-up
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×