Spurs denied late win by West Ham keeper

Tottenham had an injury-time penalty kick saved in a 1-1 draw Sunday at West Ham in the Premier League.

West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green dived to his left to save the shot from Jermain Defoe, who had earned the penalty after being brought down by Lucas Neill.

“It would have been harsh if we had been done in the last minute like that,” West Ham manager Alan Curbishley said.

The save denied Tottenham their first away win of the season, but the club are still unbeaten in four games under manager Juande Ramos.

Also on Sunday, Blackburn twice rallied to draw 2-2 with Fulham.

Spurs had equalised in the 67th minute when Michael Dawson headed a free kick from Jermaine Jenas over the approaching Green to score.

“Green said sorry for the first goal because when you come for the ball you’ve got to come and get it, but what he did at the end of the game made up for it,” Curbishley said.

Carlton Cole had put West Ham in the lead in the 20th.

Luis Boa Morte started the move, crossing to Nolberto Solano, who then passed for Cole to score.

Tottenham striker Robbie Keane claimed he should have been awarded a penalty kick in the 41st minute when he was tripped by the legs of Green when trying to run around him.
Referee Mike Riley waved play on.

“My opinion is different to the referee, but he blew the whistle,” Ramos said. “It would have been a decision which would have changed the game.”

Tottenham started goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who was dropped from the England squad for their 3-2 loss to Croatia on Wednesday.

Robinson made a stand-out save from Boa Morte in the 26th minute and also saved a shot from Scott Parker in the 80th.

Jenas cleared a header from George McCartney off the line in the 88th minute

“We had the possibility to score a second goal which we didn’t do, and we have to be happy with the draw,” Ramos said. “But we have lost vital points we think we deserved.”

West Ham have 19 points and are in 10th place, while Tottenham are in 14th place with 12 points.

At Craven Cottage, Stephen Warnock scored Blackburn’s second equalising goal in the 79th minute on a cross from Jason Roberts.

Fulham had led 2-1 with a close-range shot from Diomansy Kamara in the 63rd.

Fulham scored first when Danny Murphy sent Blackburn goalkeeper Brad Friedel the wrong way from the penalty spot in the 51st minute. Kamara had earned the penalty after he was fouled by Ryan Nelsen.

Blackburn levelled at 1-1 in the 57th with a goal from Brett Emerton, who controlled the ball with his chest and volleyed in a headed cross from Roberts.

Blackburn stayed in ninth place with 23 points, while Fulham are 12th with 13 points.

“I thought we kept on playing and trying to do the right things and we got our reward it the end,” Blackburn manager Mark Hughes said. “We thought it was a game we should have won and I think we totally dominated. In general play we were the most progressive team.”

On Saturday, Arsenal took sole lead of the Premier League with a late win over Wigan after Manchester United fell to a surprise 1-0 loss at Bolton.—Sapa-AP

Client Media Releases

NWU specialist receives innovation management award
Reduce packaging waste: Ipsos poll
What is transactional SMS?
MTN on data pricing