Suicide attack kills dozens near Shi’ite shrine

A suicide attack near a Shi’ite shrine killed at least 36 people on Monday in the central Iraqi city of Karbala, a health official said.

The attack came as United States Vice-President Dick Cheney visited Baghdad on a surprise trip and met several US and Iraqi leaders to discuss the recent improvement in security across the country.

At least 50 people were wounded in the blast, which occurred near the revered Imam Hussein shrine, said Alaa Hamud Dadair, head of Karbala’s health directorate.

Witnesses said the attacker was a female suicide bomber, Dadair said.

An Agence France-Presse correspondent at the site said several ambulances and police vehicles were ferrying victims to hospital following the blast, which occurred about 100m from the shrine, located in the centre of the city.

Soon after the attack, Karbala police imposed an indefinite curfew in the central parts of the city.

Insurgents have targeted the Shi’ite shrine city on several occasions in the past five years.

On April 28 last year a suicide car-bomb attack near the Imam Abbas shrine, a second revered shrine in Karbala, killed more than 70 people and wounded nearly 160.

Two weeks earlier, a similar bomb attack close to the Imam Hussein shrine killed 42 people and wounded scores more.

Karbala was also the site of bloody clashes between Shi’ite militants and police in August, which left more than 50 people dead and hundreds injured.

The Mehdi Army militia of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr was blamed for those clashes, after which al-Sadr ordered a freeze on the activities of the militia, which remains in force.

Iraq has been rocked by a series of suicide bomb attacks in recent months, including by females.

The US military says explosive vests have become the weapon of choice for al-Qaeda in Iraq, with most jihadists nowadays wearing the suicide apparel.

”Late in 2007 there were about eight or 10 [suicide bombings] a month; in the month of February, there were 18. There is an increase,” US military spokesperson Rear Admiral Gregory Smith told a news conference on Sunday.

The US military in Iraq had also tracked an increase in requests by al-Qaeda leaders for foreign fighters to become human bombs, Smith said.

However, he added, measures by countries such as Saudi Arabia and Syria to stop foreign fighters slipping across the border into Iraq has reduced the number of available recruits. — Sapa-AFP

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

International Day of Education: Countries set realistic goals for 2030

The original sustainable development goal for education treated all countries as equal; however, global targets have now been localised, providing a more realistic framework

Chieftaincy dispute hits Richards Bay Minerals production

The KZN department of co-operative governance has undertaken to resolve the dispute it created by dethroning the sitting inkosi in 2010

World Economic Forum: ‘2022 will be like navigating an obstacle...

Central banks massively underestimated inflation risks as economies bounced back from the pandemic-induced slump

Montana backs Prasa-fraud accused Mthimkhulu as court hears how he...

Montana testified that ‘unqualified’ Mthimkhulu was the right engineer for the state rail agency, despite his acquisition of allegedly faulty locomotives
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×