Maria Ramos to leave Transnet

Maria Ramos, group chief executive of Transnet, will leave the company at the end of February 2009, the parastatal said in a statement on Friday.

An announcement of her future plans would be made ”in due course”, it said.

”It has, for some time, been her wish to explore other challenges outside the company once the turnaround of Transnet had been completed.

”It is common knowledge that this point was reached some time ago and, for over a year now, the company has been implementing its four-point growth strategy.”

In a separate statement, Ramos said that she would be leaving with ”mixed feelings; a sense of sadness at the inevitable separation and a sense of excitement at the future of Transnet and mine simultaneously”,

She said that Transnet had been her professional home ”for the last five years or so”.

Ramos said the decision to depart had been one of the toughest decisions she had had to make.

”I believe this is the right time to depart the centre stage as the company is now ready for change and renewal.”

She said she had joined the company during one of the most difficult periods in its history.

”Among the many challenges we faced then was a R6,3-billion loss; a weakened balance sheet; low employee morale; unsustainably high gearing ratios; a steep decline in shareholders’ wealth; we were losing customers and volumes were dwindling as a result of lack of confidence in the company’s services; and in essence we were a value-destroying organ of state.”

She said that this was all behind Transnet now. — Sapa

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

ANC North West committee speaks out against ‘manipulative’ leadership headed...

From submitting parallel lists to misleading the court, list committee chair Lorna Maloney makes serious claims against the North West ANC’s interim provincial committee

July protests take their toll as economy shrinks by 1.5%

The largest drops in the third quarter were in the agriculture sector, trade and manufacturing.

Mabuyane warns ANC provincial executive against another ‘festival of chairs’...

The ANC chair in the Eastern Cape, Oscar Mabuyane, urges PEC members to accept election outcomes and not devolve into the violence of the “festival of chairs”

Going back to the future of KwaZulu-Natal politics

The past is helpful in understanding the predatory and violent nature of political factionalism in the province. But it doesn’t answer the question of how to fix it.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×