Surty files papers in Hlophe case

Former justice minister Enver Surty filed an affidavit in the High Court in Johannesburg on Thursday in a case involving Cape Judge President John Hlophe, an official said.

“The affidavit has already been filed,” said justice spokesperson Zolile Nqayi.

He said Surty was not opposing Hlophe’s bid to challenge the Judicial Service Commission’s (JSC) proceedings against him.

“In his affidavit, he is not opposing the application. He only clarifies some issues raised in Hlophe’s application; issues which directly refer to the minister,” said Nqayi.

Hlophe’s case was postponed to May 18 earlier this week to allow time for more affidavits to be filed.

Hlophe was put on special leave last year after he was accused of allegedly trying to influence a Constitutional Court decision on a matter involving President Jacob Zuma.

The judges lodged a complaint with the JSC. Its hearings went ahead without Hlophe last month after he said he had flu.

Hlophe believed the JSC was not properly constituted for this hearing.—Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

Fedgroup drives industry reform in unclaimed benefits sector
Hardworking students win big at architecture awards
VUT presents 2019 registration introduction
Vocational training: good start to great career