US pastor again says plan to burn Qur’an cancelled

The Florida pastor at the centre of an international firestorm for threatening to burn the Qur’an reaffirmed that he would not go ahead with the event on Saturday.

Radical evangelist Terry Jones first announced on Thursday he had scrapped the mass burning of the Muslim holy book on September 11 after a day of high-stakes religious brinkmanship.

But when his claims that a deal had been struck to relocate a proposed Islamic cultural centre in New York dissolved in acrimony, he threatened to go ahead with the event to mark the anniversary of the September 11 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

However, in an interview with ABC News on Friday he said: “Right now, we have plans not to do it.”

“We believe that the imam is going to keep his word, what he promised us [Thursday].”

‘Proposal’
Jones met on Thursday with Orlando-based imam Mohammed Musri, who helped set up a meeting on Saturday with Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the controversial New York project.

“He gave us the proposal that they would move the mosque from the Ground Zero location,” Jones told ABC, despite Musri’s denials of having made such a promise.

“The Muslims do not want us to burn the Qur’an. Americans do not want the mosque near the Ground Zero place. And we made the proposal on the radio, which he heard, that if they were willing to move the mosque from the Ground Zero location, we would be willing to cancel our event. He came back to me with that proposal,” Jones told ABC.

Jones, whose tiny Dove World Outreach Centre in Gainesville, Florida, has a congregation of only 50, had cast himself as having single-handedly resolved the stand-off thanks to his threat to desecrate the Qur’an. — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

The rule of law in times of crisis: Covid-19 and...

Under a state of national disaster, some rights may be suspended. But it is critical to remember that the Constitution itself is not suspended

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories