Jules High girl admits to consensual sex

The 15-year-old Jules High School girl, who accused her schoolmates of gang raping her, has said the sex was consensual, the Independent Online reported on Thursday.

The girl made her second appearance in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning and admitted that she had consensual sex with the two boys.

The three were charged with statutory rape by the national director of public prosecutions Advocate Menzi Simelane on Wednesday.

Simelane is quoted as saying the prosecution team, based on evidence, could not prosecute the boys, aged 14 and 16, on the main count of rape and recommended statutory rape charges.

During their first appearance in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday the boys admitted to their role in the act and the girl maintained that she had been raped.


On Thursday morning, however, girl changed her mind and said that the sex was consensual.

The two boys were arrested on November 8 after allegedly raping the girl at her school in Jeppestown on November 4. They allegedly filmed the incident on their cellphones which was later shown to prosecutors as evidence.

Her case and the boys’ case have been postponed until December 1 for a final order.

All three have been placed on a diversion programme. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Municipality won’t remove former mayor, despite home affairs demands

The department is fighting with a small Free State town, which it accuses of continuing to employ an illegal immigrant

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday