Pro-Ouattara forces sweep through Côte d’Ivoire

Forces backing Côte d’Ivoire’s recognised president Alassane Ouattara captured key cities on Wednesday and warned his rival Laurent Gbagbo they would march on his stronghold, Abidjan, within hours.

In New York meanwhile, the United Nations Security Council unanimously backed sanctions against Gbagbo over his refusal to step down from power.

The noose tightened around the embattled strongman’s regime as pro-Ouattara fighters seized the political capital Yamoussoukro on Wednesday.

From there, they swept further south until by late Wednesday they had entered the key town of San Pedro, which holds the world’s largest cocoa exporting port.

Ouattara’s camp, weary of four months’ of fruitless diplomatic initiatives, declared all peaceful solutions “exhausted” as they launched their offensive on Monday.

By Wednesday evening, Ouattara’s prime minister Guillaume Soro was telling France24: “Gbagbo has only a few hours to leave, otherwise we will march on Abidjan and it will become a lot more complicated for him.”

‘Parading through town’
After a day of heavy losses, Gbagbo had been due to make a highly anticipated speech — promised more than two weeks ago — on state television RTI Wednesday.

Just hours after it had been announced however, his spokesperson Ahoua Don Mello appeared briefly on television to say Gbagbo, who was following the situation in the country closely, had postponed his address.

The United Nations (UN) meanwhile followed the European Union and United States in imposing sanctions against Gbagbo and his leadership.

Resolution 1975 made the first explicit call by the 15-nation UN Security Council for Gbagbo to stand down in favour of Ouattara, who the United Nations and virtually all countries say won last November’s presidential election.

It authorised a travel ban and an assets freeze against Gbagbo, his wife Simone, and three of his closest associates.

Earlier in the day residents of Yamoussoukro reported scenes of jubilation in the streets, as Ouattara’s Republican Forces took control of the city on the third day of their offensive.

“Yamoussoukro is under the control of the Republican Forces, a jubilant crowd is cheering them, they are parading through town,” one resident said.

Ceasefire
By Wednesday evening, they had entered the cocoa-exporting town of San Pedro, the economic lifeblood of the West African country, the world’s top cocoa producer, residents reported.

“They have entered the town, they are firing heavy weapons downtown,” a resident told Agence France-Presse (AFP) by telephone.

The pro-Ouattara fighters also seized control of the town of Gagnoa, which lies between Yamoussoukro and the coast, in Gbagbo’s home region, residents there said.

In the past three days Ouattara’s fighters have brushed aside the longstanding ceasefire line that has split the country in two since 2002.

It was established after a failed coup against Gbagbo nine years ago left pro-Ouattara rebels in control of the north and the strongman holding the south.

Ally Coulibaly, Côte d’Ivoire’s ambassador to France — appointed by Ouattara — said his camp now controlled “three quarters” of the country.

The Gbagbo camp, as his forces fell back under the onslaught of the pro-Ouattara fighters, had called on Tuesday for a ceasefire and talks.

‘Unacceptable’
But that was dismissed as a diversion in the Ouattara camp.

“It is up to Gbagbo to lay down arms,” Ouattara’s spokesperson Anna Ouloto told AFP.

Election-linked violence has left at least 460 people dead, with as many as one million fleeing their homes, according to UN agencies.

In Abidjan, shooting could be heard in several northern suburbs and panicked citizens rushed to their homes, AFP correspondents reported.

Also on Wednesday, two French police assigned to the French embassy were wounded when pro-Gbagbo forces fired on their car, a foreign ministry spokesperson said in Paris, condemning the incident as “unacceptable”. — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Fran Blandy
Fran Blandy
AFP's deputy bureau chief for East Africa, based in Nairobi, Previously correspondent in Paris, Dakar and Johannesburg.
Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories