Public protector won’t suspend Malema’s contract

The contract benefiting embattled African National Congress Youth League president Julius Malema can’t be cancelled because it would have serious legal implications, the public protector’s spokesperson said on Wednesday.

“There could be possible unintended consequences by suspending [it] in its entirety … It is a binding agreement,” said Kgalalelo Masibi.

The contract has already been running for two years.

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela met with the Limpopo roads and transport department on Wednesday and one portion of the contract was suspended.

“Both parties agreed to suspend one aspect of the contract, that is, the participation of On-Point in the bid evaluation committee until the investigation is concluded,” her office said in a statement.


Legally binding
On-Point Engineering is partly owned by Malema’s family trust.

Limpopo’s provincial government last week asked Madonsela to explain the legal basis for her request that contracts benefiting Malema be cancelled.

“We’ve written to the public protector asking for clarity on the legal basis around her request,” City Press quoted roads and transport spokesperson Thesan Moodley as saying.

Moodley said the department’s contracts with service providers were legally binding.

In response, Madonsela told the paper she was “shocked to hear they don’t understand the Constitution by questioning my powers”.

Irregular tenders
She is probing claims that the Limpopo government awarded irregular tenders to On-Point Engineering, which benefited Malema. The outcome of the investigation was expected before the end of the year.

Malema was also being investigated by the Hawks.

Masibi told the South African Broadcasting Corporation that the Hawks and the public protector had pinpointed their respective areas of investigation, to avoid any duplication.

The outcome of the investigation was expected before the end of the year. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…