Cuba plans to pardon almost 3 000 prisoners

Cuba’s President Raul Castro has unveiled plans to pardon about 3 000 prisoners for “humanitarian reasons” — a group amnesty of unprecedented size — and “gradually” reform onerous laws restricting foreign travel.

The pardons include 86 foreign nationals from 25 countries, and will take place “in the coming days”, Castro said in a closing address to the National Assembly on Friday.

However US contractor Alan Gross, jailed in Cuba for espionage, will not be among those to be released, top foreign ministry official Josefina Vidal said.

Gross — a State Department contractor arrested in December 2009 for delivering laptops and communications gear to Cuba’s small Jewish community — “will not be on the list” of foreigners to be pardoned, the official said.

Castro said factors that played into the pardon decision included requests from the Catholic Church and various Protestant churches, and the visit of Pope Benedict XVI in 2012.


The pardon is the largest ever under the communist regime, much larger that the 299 prisoners released ahead of the visit of Pope John Paul II in January 1998.

‘Complicated area’
Cubans were intensely and emotionally keen to hear about migration reform, which Castro — the ex-defence chief who took over from his brother, revolutionary icon Fidel Castro, in July 2006 — has promised but not yet delivered.

“I reaffirm my unswerving will to gradually introduce the changes required in this complicated area,” Raul Castro said.

Many people “consider a new migratory policy an urgent issue, forgetting the exceptional circumstances that Cuba is going through,” he added.

He referred to the US trade embargo on the island and Washington’s alleged “subversive” policy, “always on the lookout for any opportunity to reach its known purposes”.

Neither the communist government nor the state-run media have given details of the migration reforms being considered.

Local experts believe Castro intends to end the requirement of exit visas (for Cubans on the island), entrance visas (for Cubans living overseas who return home) and the legal status of “permanent emigrant”.

Permanent emigrants
Cubans usually can only leave the country when they have received a letter of invitation from overseas. Then, they have to file a request for an exit visa, just at the start of a maze-like bureaucratic process that costs about $500.

They also need entry visas from the countries to which they travel.

The price is near unaffordable in Cuba, where doctors and street cleaners alike make about $20 a month.

The Roman Catholic Church and regime-friendly personalities have joined a chorus of Cubans calling for an end to the rules, including one that penalises “permanent emigrants” from the only one-party Communist regime in the Americas.

Those who are deemed to have left illegally (permanent emigrants) in essence are classed as defectors, their homes and assets seized.

Castro did not give details about who would be released, but did say that among the foreigners were 13 women. The release of the foreigners would depend on “whether the governments of their countries of origin accept their repatriation”, Castro said.

‘Acts against the independence’
However the highest-profile prisoner, US citizen Gross, will not be leaving.

Gross (62) was found guilty in March of “acts against the independence or territorial integrity” of Cuba and sentenced to 15 years in prison. He has already spent two years behind bars in Cuba.

Washington renewed its calls on December 2 for Gross’s immediate release.

Earlier this month, a group of 19 US senators sent a letter to the head of the Cuban interests section in Washington, Jorge Bolano, asking the Cuban government to consider the health and economic conditions of the Goss family.

“Mr Gross has lost 100 pounds and suffers from numerous medical conditions,” they wrote. “Mr Gross’s daughter and mother are both fighting cancer, and his wife is struggling to make ends meet.” — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

200 Cuban medics to help SA fight Covid-19

200 Cubans are flying to South Africa to help the defence force and health department respond to the pandemic

Spain did it, so why can’t South Africa nationalise healthcare to save lives?

South Africa is working towards establishing a publicly-funded universal health service and now, amid the coronavirus pandemic, is the time to implement it

Zuma-ists hope to ace provinces

Acolytes of the ex-president gear up take-back regions in Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal and North West before the ANC mid-term meeting

Riddle of Zuma’s sick note

SANDF officials considered launching a probe into the ‘doctored’ certificate

Thomas Cook folds, sparking worldwide repatriation of tourists

As well as grounding its planes, Thomas Cook has been forced to shut travel agencies, leaving the group's 22,000 global employees out of a job

SANDF’s R1bn Cuban spend queried

The auditor general wants expenditure on the maintenance of aged military vehicles to be declared irregular spending
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday