Guinea minister charged over 2009 massacre

A Guinean minister has been charged for his role in a 2009 massacre of protesters against the former junta in which he played a leading role, human rights organisations have announced.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Thursday that Colonel Moussa Tiegboro Camara had appeared in front of the investigative judges on Wednesday, a week after charges were filed. He was not taken into custody.

The Paris-based International Federation of Human Rights said in a statement that the charges laid against Tiegboro Camara were “a positive signal to the victims of these crimes who are waiting for justice”.

Colonel Moussa Tiegboro Camara is the highest-level official to be charged in relation to the September 28 massacre in which 157 people were killed and scores of women raped when troops descended on an opposition protest.

Thousands had gathered in a Conakry stadium to voice opposition against Moussa Dadis Camara’s military junta.

‘Most responsible’
In a HRW report released several months after the massacre, Tiegboro Camara was implicated as “among those most responsible for the serious crimes committed”.

In a statement on Thursday, HRW said: “Tiegboro Camara and gendarmes in his unit entered the stadium together with members of the Presidential Guard … Some of the gendarmes in his unit took an active part in the massacre, and, to a lesser degree, in the sexual violence that followed.”

Corinne Dufka, senior West Africa researcher for HRW praised the “courageous work of the judges”.

As Guinea struggled to hold its first-ever democratic election in 2010, with many implicated in the massacre appointed into top positions by President Alpha Conde, concerns have been raised over lack of progress in investigating the massacre.

Tiegbo Camara is a minister in the presidency in charge of fighting drug trafficking and organised crime.


Three Guinean magistrates were in February 2010 tasked with investigating the massacre. HRW said in addition to Tiegboro Camara, at least two other men have been charged. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday