Police on parade for Marikana violence claims

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) has confirmed that it planned to hold identity parades on Tuesday as part of its investigation into charges that Marikana strikers were subjected to violence while in detention, and that the process is ongoing.

"We can't comment on the ID parades until they are concluded, because there may be developments in the investigation and we don't want to pre-empt that," said IPID spokesperson Moses Dlamini. But he confirmed that the parades are in relation to the claims of assault by police, and that there was a delay in the process on Tuesday.

At least some of the now-released strikers were asked to take part in identifying their alleged police assailants, but were due to a combination of poor communication and transport trouble could not attend the planned parade. Media interest, and fears that cases may have been jeopardised if the police involved were publicly identified, may also have played a part in the postponement.

The IPID appears intent on concluding the parades this week, but would not speak on its expected timeline.

The parades are the first indication that police members are under investigation for their actions following the August 16 killings at Marikana. Dlamini would not comment on investigations into the events of that week, saying only that the IPID intends to report its findings to the judicial inquiry appointed to consider culpability of all groups involved, including the police. On Sunday the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) could provide no information into the status of charges, including murder, laid by individuals who had been part of the striking group.


Miners involved in the claims of brutal treatment at the hands of police after they were arrested have declined to speak on the record, with some saying they fear re-arrest.

March planned Wednesday
A group of employees at Lonmin's Marikana mine plan to hold their first organised protest march since the shootings on Wednesday morning. It follows a small gathering on Monday morning, in which strikers told colleagues who reported for work to down their tools.

"A group of them arrived and told us to not betray the dead miners, and stop working. They called us 'amagundwane' and started singing," said a worker who wanted to remain anonymous. Amagundwane is the isiZulu word for rats, and the name given to employees who go to work while their colleagues are on strike.

The group of at least 200, which was initially escorted to a shaft by police, dispersed before noon.

By Tuesday night it was not clear how much support the march on Wednesday is likely to draw, but a police member in the area said preparations for crowd control would be adequate. Police have maintained a strong presence around the mine for the last two weeks. – with additional reporting from Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Phillip De Wet
Guest Author

Related stories

What Bernie Sanders needs to learn from black voters in South Africa

Senator Sanders must explicitly demonstrate that a US government that can guarantee universal healthcare is the best path to building long-term black wealth

Miners speak out against Sibanye

Not a year into buying Lonmin, Sibanye is accused of mistreating the mineworkers who were injured eight years ago during the Marikana massacre. But the platinum giant says it is a miscommunication. Athandiwe Saba and Paul Botes visit Marikana to find out the truth

Marikana talks stagger on

Those negotiating for miners’ families say the state has been nothing but bloody-minded

ANN7 sacrificed to save MultiChoice ‘mistake-men’

MultiChoice was equally clear about the consequences of its 'mistake' — when ANN7’s contract ends in August, it will be dropped from DStv

Combative, evasive Dlamini steers herself towards disaster

Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini this week sought a definition of “meeting” before she could confirm that she had one

Dlamini’s direct inquisition ends, but more in store

During questioning, Bathabile Dlamini contradicted herself, refused to admit simple facts, and failed to answer many crucial questions
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday