Boston bombings: Tsarnaev faces first court appearance

Tsarnaev, a 19-year-old US national of Chechen origin, was captured on April 19, four days after a huge manhunt after the Boston Marathon bombing.

The Muslim teenager is to appear in federal court in Boston on Wednesday before judge Marianne Bowler. Tsarnaev may formally enter his plea at the hearing.

Three people were killed and 264 injured after Tsarnaev and his elder brother Tamerlan detonated two pressure cooker bombs along the closing stages of the marathon route on April 15.

A police officer was shot dead as the Tsarnaev brothers went on the run in the days following the attack. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed following a shoot-out with law enforcement on April 18.

A seriously wounded Dzhokhar was found hiding in a boat on a suburban Boston driveway and later charged with a range of offenses.


The teenager had scrawled a rambling explanation of his motives for the Boston attacks on an interior wall of the boat.

"The US government is killing our innocent civilians," Tsarnaev wrote. "I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished … we Muslims are one body, you hurt one you hurt us all.

"Now I don't like killing innocent people it is forbidden in Islam but ( … ) stop killing our innocent people and we will stop."

Punishable by death
Tsarnaev faces a 30-count indictment which include 17 charges punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Charges include use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and conspiracy as well as bombing of a place of public use resulting in death.

The three deaths Tsarnaev is said to have been involved in include Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, shot dead on April 18 as the Tsarnaev brothers attempted to steal his gun.

The Tsarnaev brothers had lived in the Boston area for around 10 years before launching their attacks, apparently without any assistance from an outside group.

The bombs were detonated seconds apart, killing a boy, a Chinese student and a woman restaurant manager.

At least 13 of the injured had limbs torn off.

The bombs "were designed to shred skin, shatter bone, and cause extreme pain and suffering, as well as death," according to their indictment.

Manhunt
Three days after the bombing, photos of the two suspects were released and a major manhunt launched during which inhabitants of much of the Boston region were ordered to stay indoors.

The duo had been identified by examination of footage from multiple security cameras examined after the bombing.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been detained at a prison hospital in Fort Devens, roughly 60km west of Boston.

During a recent conversation with his mother in Dagestan, he appeared to be in good spirits, telling her "everything was fine."

In a recording of the call obtained by Britain's Channel 4 News, Tsarnaev also said he was receiving thousands of dollars in donations from people offering support. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Boston Bomber: I am sorry for the lives I have taken

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has publicly expressed remorse for the first time since he executed the 2013 Boston marathon bombings.

Jury’s next decision: Life or death for Boston bomber?

A US jury unanimously convicted Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and found him guilty on all 30 counts related to the 2013 Boston bombings attacks.

2014 Boston Marathon kicks off under tight security

Security has been beefed up at the 2014 Boston Marathon, a year after the bombings that killed three people and injured hundred others.

Michelle Obama picks disaster heroes, gay athlete as speech guests

The White House has filled Michelle Obama's seating area at the State of the Union address with people who represent issues important to her.

‘Rolling Stone’ bombs out over Boston suspect cover

Boston officials have reacted with anger to an upcoming cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine featuring accused marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Not guilty, pleads Boston bombing suspect

Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty on all charges, some of which could carry the death penalty.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday