DRC planning attack on ‘irregular’ Rwandan rebels

The Democratic Republic of Congo army plans an "imminent" attack on Rwandan Hutu rebels based in the powderkeg east of the country, government spokesperson Lambert Mende said Tuesday.

"There is no more place in our country for any irregular group," Mende said, adding that the newly defeated M23 rebels had been "top of the list" before their surrender on Tuesday.

"They have been replaced by the FDLR (Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda)," Mende said. "We are going to get on with disarming them."

Further military action "will take concrete shape in the offensive that will imminently be launched" by the army against different armed movements in the east of the vast country, he added.

FDLR
Tuesday's military victory by UN-backed Congolese troops over the mainly Tutsi rebels of M23 "does not… put an end to efforts to normalise our country," the spokesperson said.


The FDLR has been present on Congolese territory since fleeing across the border from Rwanda in 1994, after the Rwandan genocide of some 800 000 people. Older members of the FDLR are blamed for the slaughter, which targeted the Tutsi minority.

Mende said that once the FDLR had been dealt with, "it will be (the Ugandan rebels) of the ADF-NALU and the LRA, then the (Burundian) FNL" rebels and then a host of Congolese militias.

The FDLR, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF NALU), the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), the National Liberation Forces (FNL) and a myriad armed groups, including tribal militias, have each held sway over parts of Congolese territory, sometimes for many years.

President Joseph Kabila on October 30 urged all armed movements in the country to turn in their weapons voluntarily or face "a forcible disarmament operation as vigorous as the one (then) under way" against M23. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

Q&A Sessions: George Euvrard, the brains behind our cryptic crossword

George Euvrard spoke to Athandiwe Saba about his passion for education, clues on how to solve his crosswords and the importance of celebrating South Africa.

More top stories

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.

Inside George Mukhari hospital’s second wave

The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism and James Oatway visited George Mukhari academic hospital to document the second-wave realities experienced by doctors and nurses

Power shift at Luthuli House

Ace Magashule’s move to distance himself from Carl Niehaus signals a rebalancing of influence and authority at the top of the ANC
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…