Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Metro considers forced demolition of Tongaat mall

The eThekwini Metro municipality is considering trying to force a developer to demolish an illegal shopping mall that partially collapsed in Tongaat, north of Durban, killing a woman and injuring 29 people.

"Council is now looking at options not only of bringing an action for [a] contempt of court decision, but also the possibility of an order for the owner to demolish the collapsed structure," eThekwini Metro municipal manager Sibusiso Sithole said on Thursday.

Mayor James Nxumalo revealed on Wednesday that the property's developer and owner, Rectangle Property Investments, had not obtained planning permission to build the mall.

In fact, it was ordered by the high court in Durban on November 14 to stop construction until planning permission had been obtained.

Despite the court order, Gralio Construction continued to build the mall, and on Tuesday evening, a football field sized portion of it collapsed.

At the time, it was not known how many people were on the poorly-fenced construction site, and 50 people were initially feared trapped.

Police search
Officially, only one person remains unaccounted for, according to KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant Mandy Govender.

But the police could not rule out the possibility that others were buried beneath the slab that collapsed.

"We are not ruling out that there were other people on site, but only one contractor has told us that they are missing an employee," Govender said.

A crane was removing rubble on the site on Thursday, as members of the police search and rescue unit watched. Three workers planted poles for a fence around the mall.

Lieutenant Jack Haskins of the Pietermaritzburg K9 search and rescue unit said on Thursday afternoon that the dogs had picked up one scent.

"But it's coming from under the slab. It could be 20 metres away. We don't know, but we will have to clear more rubble before we can send in the dogs to find out what it is."

Mall scheduled to open
The scent could come from a body or from an item with blood on it that was left behind by one of the rescued workers taken to hospital.

Gralio Construction, some of whose workers were among the injured, could not be reached for comment.

KwaZulu-Natal chief labour inspector Abey Raspae confirmed that no other bodies had been found.

He said the department had not been told how many people were not accounted for.

Govender said a culpable homicide docket had been opened. She said this was standard procedure in the event of a death, and it was too early to say who would be charged.

Labour department spokesperson Nhlanhla Khumalo said activities at the site had been stopped for the day and would resume on Friday.

The mall was scheduled to open in March.

Municipality's appeals
On Thursday afternoon, the Democratic Alliance (DA) accused the city of handing Gralio a R101-million tender for a low cost housing development, despite the Tongaat mall collapse.

Sithole denied this and said the R101-million Cornubia housing project the DA was referring to was in fact an old contract awarded in 2011.

He said he rejected the awarding of the tender, but was overruled by the municipality's appeals authority and the courts, and that the process was finalised only in October.

"After exhausting all the options for a non-award, it was considered prudent to proceed with Gralio," said Sithole, who accused the DA of cheap. – Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Kenya’s beach boys fall into sex tourism, trafficking

In the face of their families’ poverty, young men, persuaded by the prospect of wealth or education, travel to Europe with their older female sponsors only to be trafficked for sex

High court reinstates Umgeni Water board

The high court has ruled that the dissolution of the water entity’s board by Minister Lindiwe Sisulu was unfair and unprocedural

Mkhize throws the book at the Special Investigating Unit

It’s a long shot at political redemption for the former health minister and, more pressingly, a bid to avert criminal charges
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×