Suicide bomber attacks Nato convoy

A Taliban suicide bomber detonated an explosives-packed vehicle next to a Nato military convoy in Kabul on Friday, officials said, though no details about casualties were immediately available.

The attack occurred on a main road that passes by a series of government compounds and military facilities in the Afghan capital on the way to the eastern city of Jalalabad.

"Around 1pm, a suicide bomber blew up a car targeting a convoy of foreign forces on the Kabul-Jalalabad road," Hashmatullah Stanikzai, spokesperson for the Kabul police, said.

"Our security forces have rushed to the scene to investigate, and we don't have any information on casualties yet."

Blast site
An AFP reporter said that civilian ambulances and armoured vehicles from the US-led Nato mission in Afghanistan were at the blast site, which was quickly cordoned off by police.

"Our mujahideen have detonated a car bomb attack on a convoy of foreign forces today afternoon," Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP.

"As a result of the attack, several foreign forces were killed and a number of their vehicles were damaged."

The Taliban routinely exaggerate death tolls after attacks.

A spokesperson for Nato's mission in Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said the explosion was being investigated but gave no further details. Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.


The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa Afp
Guest Author
Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday