Shabangu to visit Harmony mine after workers’ deaths

Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu will visit Harmony Gold's stricken Doornkop mine on Thursday, where eight workers died after a rock fall and fire took place below ground on Tuesday evening. 

In Cape Town, as crowds at the 2014 Mining Indaba began thinning out on Thursday, Mining Indaba Jonathan Moore, managing director, extended condolences to the miners' families and the company.

"We're deeply saddened to hear the news that the bodies of the eight mines trapped underground after a rock fall at Harmony's [Doornkop] mine were recovered during the night," said Moore in his morning opening address. "Our heartfelt condolences goes to the family and friends of the miners as well as to Graham Briggs, chief executive of Harmony, management and all employees at Harmony". His remarks were followed by a minute's silence.

Mine management was briefing Shabangu on the accident on Thursday morning, her spokesperson Ayanda Shezi confirmed.

Finding ninth miner a priority
The search for the ninth person is still ongoing and remains a priority, said Harmony spokesperson Charmane Russell. A regulatory investigation, held by the department of mineral resources, with assistance of the company and the unions will get under way.


"The company is committed to working with [all parties] to uncover the issues," she said. The families of the miners have been contacted, she added, and arrangements were under way to bring them to the mine if they wished to be there.

It is understood at this stage that a 2.4 magnitude seismic event took place, triggering a groundfall. This then hit a high voltage cable, which sparked the fire. "The investigation will reveal further details," said Russell.

According to an earlier statement, the fire was reported about 1 733m underground, around 6pm on Tuesday. Early morning on Wednesday rescue workers located eight other employees in an underground refuge chamber. They were brought to surface, unharmed, by 11am.

'Bad news'
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) was saddened by the deaths of the eight miners. "[This is] really bad news for us as the NUM, the families of the deceased, the department of mineral resources and the South African public," acting spokesperson Livhuwani Mammburu said in a statement.

NUM health and safety secretary Erick Gcilitshana said: "We pass our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased. One death is one death too many." The union called on the mineral resources department to trigger its investigation into the accident, saying the NUM was ready to help.

Eighteen people were reported missing at the end of the shift on Tuesday night. The mining company said the eight miners brought to the surface from the mine earlier on Wednesday were all unharmed.

Rescue teams
One miner came out in the early hours of Wednesday morning. He gave rescue workers the location of miners he had seen underground. The nine would be under medical observation for 24 hours, chief operating officer Tom Smith said.

Smith said 10 rescue teams had been searching for the missing miners. The department of mineral resources said on Wednesday that a team of health and safety inspectors were monitoring the mine.

The chief mine inspector said that once the last miner had been found, the search and rescue team would need to make sure the fire had been extinguished, the department said on Thursday. After that, an on-the-spot inspection would take place, the results of which would help determine which steps the department needed take next. Harmony Gold was due to issue a statement later on Thursday. – Additional reporting by Reuters, Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Lynley Donnelly
Lynley Donnelly
Lynley is a senior business reporter at the Mail & Guardian. But she has covered everything from social justice to general news to parliament - with the occasional segue into fashion and arts. She keeps coming to work because she loves stories, especially the kind that help people make sense of their world.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

Spy boss tells how agency was used to detain Zuma’s...

Day two of State Security Agency testimony at the Zondo commission birthed more revelations that point to the former head of state and agents breaking the law

Covax will take excess doses of Covid vaccines off the...

The global initiative plans to deliver two billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to developing nations

Eastern Cape citizens don’t have to visit the labour department...

This measure, aimed at slowing the spread of Covid-19, may shortly be introduced in other regions.

Covid-19 economic crisis will be felt by the poor for...

The pandemic’s economic fallout will affect the world’s poor for years, while the richest billionaires increase their wealth, an Oxfam report notes
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…