Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Côte d’Ivoire hands Laurent Gbagbo ally to ICC

Côte d’Ivoire transferred Charles Ble Goude, a youth leader and close ally of ex-president Laurent Gbagbo, to the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Saturday to face charges of crimes against humanity linked to a 2011 post-election civil war.

The ICC, based in The Hague, Netherlands, announced in October last year that it had issued an arrest warrant for Ble Goude, who headed the Young Patriots street militia during Gbagbo's presidency. Ble Goude (41) was arrested in Ghana in January 2013.

The government of Côte d’Ivoire's current president, Alassane Ouattara, said on Thursday that it had decided to hand Ble Goude over to the court.

"The Ivorian government informs the national and international communities that Mr Charles Ble Goude was today transferred to The Hague," said government spokesperson Bruno Kone on state television.

Around 3 000 people died in the conflict that erupted after Gbagbo refused to accept his defeat to Ouattara in a presidential run-off election in late 2010.

In custody
Gbagbo, captured at the end of the fighting in April 2011 by French and United Nations-backed fighters supporting Ouattara, has been in the ICC's custody since November 2011 and stands accused of responsibility for rapes, murders, persecution and inhuman acts.

Known as "the street general" for his fiery speeches and ability to draw thousands of supporters on to the streets, Ble Goude had previously asked to be tried by an Ivorian court and not to be sent to The Hague.

Fatou Bensouda, the ICC's chief prosecutor, welcomed the news of Ble Goude's transfer and promised further investigations into the 2010-2011 violence, which she said could result in prosecutions of either side in the conflict.

"We are a step closer in helping to unveil the full truth in one of Côte d'Ivoire's worst episodes of mass violence," she said. "Those who use violence and commit mass crimes against civilians in pursuit of power must be held accountable."

Lawyers for Gbagbo and Ble Goude say Ouattara is using the court as a tool for getting rid of his political enemies when convenient. They have criticised prosecutors for bringing cases against only Gbagbo and his allies.

Government decision
Ble Goude appeared before a court in Côte d'Ivoire's commercial capital of Abidjan on Friday, where he was informed of the government's decision to send him to the ICC.

But his lawyer, Nick Kaufman, said he had been denied his right to challenge the arrest warrant and extradition process.

"The government has decided what should happen to Ble Goude and not the courts. Here you have a government that's taking judicial decisions. That's wrong," said Kaufman.

The ICC has an arrest warrant out for Gbagbo's wife, Simone, for charges of crimes against humanity. But Ouattara's government said in September that it planned to try the former first lady, who is under house arrest in Côte d'Ivoire, in a domestic court. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

Government proclaims 27 October for local elections, but supports...

The IEC has accepted former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke’s recommendation to postpone the vote to February, but still needs Constitutional Court approval to do so

ANC Free State endorses three names for Mangaung mayor

The three candidates the province has put forward are said to be Ramaphosa supporters, who will further alienate Magashule from his power base

ANC’s provincial executive committee endorses three candidates for Joburg mayor...

Sources say that the PEC gave the nod to the three names put forward by the Johannesburg regional executive committee

Covid-19 draws the bulk of health sector’s focus, at the...

Children have accounted for a relatively low number of coronavirus cases, but other facets of their healthcare and wellbeing have suffered
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×