Lonmin to restart smelting in anticipation of strike end

Lonmin Plc, the world’s third-largest platinum producer, said it will start processing metal this month as it anticipates an end to a strike that has crippled its operations in South Africa for more than 15 weeks.

Lonmin reported a loss of 35.5 cents a share for the six months ended March 31, compared with a profit of 13.3 cents a year earlier, it said in a statement on Monday. A pay strike by the members of the biggest union at its operations since January 23 has resulted in 155 720 platinum ounces being lost, the Johannesburg-based company said.

“Operations have been at a virtual standstill for nine of the possible 12 weeks of production” of the second quarter, it said. “We will start the processing operations during May 2014 to process the remaining” metal in the company’s stockpiles.

Anglo American Platinum, Impala Platinum Holdings and Lonmin have lost R17.5-billion ($1.7 billion) in revenue because of the country’s longest mining strike while employees have forfeited R7.8-billion in wages, according to a website run by the companies.

The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) has rejected the producers’ latest offer of R12 500 a month by 2017 including benefits, instead demanding that amount in base pay, which excludes allowances.


Amcu’s demand “still represents an annual increase of 29%,” Lonmin said. “This remains completely unaffordable and would have disastrous consequences for our business, people, communities and country if we were to agree to it as it will result in shaft closures and job losses.”

The companies took their pay proposals directly to workers last month in an attempt to break the strike.

“We expect to be able to assess the success of the return to work by the end of May 2014 with production provisionally scheduled to start in June if successful,” Lonmin said. “The company has a robust programme for further cash conservation measures to protect the assets, which may include a restructuring plan should the anticipated start up in June 2014 not materialise.” – Bloomberg

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Andre Janse
Guest Author
Van Vuuren
Guest Author

Related stories

Uphill battle but Tehran aims to become bike-friendly

A new bike-sharing initiative in the Iranian capital is trying to ameliorate the city’s traffic and pollution problem

Madibeng has a ‘blatant disregard for the law’

The local municipality irregularly spent at least R443.8-million according to the auditor general’s latest report

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…