Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

‘Blackface’ students suspended from residences

“After a preliminary investigation involving the students concerned, the [University of Pretoria] deemed it appropriate to deal with the matter in terms of the Student Disciplinary Code and Procedure and decided to suspend the students from their residences temporarily, pending a full disciplinary investigation,” Registrar Professor NJ Grove said in a statement distributed to staff.

UP spokesperson Nicolize Mulder said earlier in the week that the students were expelled from their residences.

“They were expelled from the residence but not from university,” she said.

On Friday, Grove said the university would deal with the matter in a fair and impartial manner with due observance of the interests of all the parties involved.

“From this follows that the students involved have as yet not been found guilty of any misconduct, nor have they been excluded from participating fully in their academic programmes,” he said.

Investigation launched
The picture that was distributed on social media shows the pair of female students in domestic worker outfits with black paint smeared on their faces and arms. They pose with headscarves and padded bottoms. It was published in various newspapers this week.

The students’ action was considered racist by many people commenting on social networks with the hashtag #blackface.

Mulder declined to provide information on what the two were studying, or their ages.

She said the picture was taken at a private 21st birthday party but because they were students at the institution, an investigation was launched.

Mulder said the university would not tolerate any form of discrimination or racism, adding that their behaviour was “completely unacceptable”.

The South African Human Rights Commission on Thursday launched an investigation into the matter.

“While the commission has still not received a complaint in this regard, the commission decided to launch an own initiative investigation,” spokesperson Isaac Mangena told Sapa.

‘No confidence’
He said the commission would be interested in the measures to be implemented by the university to address the matter and its significance to other learners at a broader level.

“We will seek a full report of the disciplinary process as part of our investigation.”

The South African Students Congress (Sasco) said it felt particularly angered by the picture and accused white people and the university of teaching its youth to disrespect black people.

“It is clear to us that the white community assisted by institutions of white privilege, like UP, are teaching white youth to disrespect and poke fun at black suffering,” Sasco president Ntuthuko Makhombothi said on Wednesday.

“We have absolutely no confidence in the supposed disciplinary action the university seeks to institute against their precious white students.”

Makhombothi said the picture was distasteful and “racist to the extreme”.

“Black women in our country continue to suffer from triple oppression as black, female, and working class. This incident ridicules the situation of black women in our country and reinforces racist stereotypes about our mothers.” – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

COMING UP: Ramaphosa addresses the nation

The president will give an update on developments in South Africa's response to the Covid-19 pandemic

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×