To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
Sapa, Staff Reporter29 Jan 2015 16:11
The Mail & Guardian reported in November that Brenda Madumise admitted receiving R1-million in cash from Radovan Krejcir in 2009. (Delwyn Verasamy, M&G)
National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC) chairperson Brenda Madumise was on Thursday put on leave of absence, following allegations that she received cash from Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir.
“The Minister of Human Settlements, Lindiwe Sisulu, MP, has placed the chairperson ... on leave of absence with immediate effect following allegations that appeared in the media in November 2014,” department spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mabaya said in a statement.
“The minister would like to conclude this matter as soon as possible to protect the integrity of the chairperson and that of the NHBRC.”
Sisulu appointed Abbey Chikane as caretaker chairperson.
In November, the Mail & Guardian reported that Madumise admitted receiving R1-million in cash from Krejcir in 2009.
In an affidavit dated April 16 2011, Madumise admits she received R1-million in cash from Krejcir who, in exchange, allegedly expected to have his asylum application fast-tracked.
Responding to amaBhungane at the time, Madumise insisted the funds were meant to be a donation and not meant for her.
“If information had been made available to me that the funds were meant to be part of any corrupt or opaque deal, I would have rejected the funds.
I only acted in terms of the information that the money was a donation,” she said.
She did not disclose to whom the donation was to be made, but another affidavit in the file discloses that Krejcir initially tried to make a donation to the ANC through secretary general Gwede Mantashe, but was rebuffed.
The affidavits, five in total, appear to have formed part of the investigation of Krejcir associate George Louca, who stands accused of murdering Teazers boss Lolly Jackson almost five years ago.
Louca, who is standing trial under the name George Smith, was granted a postponement by the Palm Ridge regional court on Monday, in order to make representations to the National Prosecuting Authority. – Sapa, Staff Reporter
Create Account | Lost Your Password?