South Africans united against xenophobia on social media

The attacks on foreign nationals in KwaZulu-Natal have sparked an outrage on social media, with many users condemning the xenophobic attacks. 

On Sunday, it was reported that foreign-owned shops in the township of KwaMashu were looted and torched as locals attempted to drive out immigrants from other African states. Since then, the violence has escalated and tensions remain high as police try to keep the situation calm. 

On Tuesday, shops belonging to Ethiopian and Somalians in Durban’s West Street were looted. Tyres were burnt and police used teargas to disperse the mob.

Addressing journalists at a press conference in Parliament, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko said he found it hard to view the attacks as just xenophobia. But many South Africans believe these are xenophobic attacks.  Tweeting under different hashtags such as #NoToXenophobia, #WeAreAfrica, #Loveafrica South Africans expressed their views:

As expected, many have blamed Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini for his remarks: “We urge all foreigners to pack their bags and leave”.


Zwelithini allegedly made the comments, which have sparked criticism, at a moral regeneration rally in Pongola, northern KwaZulu-Natal, a few weeks ago. President Jacob Zuma’s eldest son, Edward Zuma also echoed the Kings sentiments that “foreigners needed to leave the country”.

Meanwhile, political and religious leaders are planning a peace march against violence directed at forign nationals.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday