Lesotho PM under fire at SADC summit

Lesotho Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili had wanted to continue with suspended court martial proceedings against more than 50 soldiers accused of supporting ex-army chief Maaparankoe Mahao in an alleged mutiny, his press attaché Motumi Ralejoe told African News Agency.

Mahao was shot dead by soldiers in June and last month Southern African Development Community (SADC) leaders appointed an independent commission of inquiry to investigate his death and surrounding circumstances.

Mosisili told his fellow leaders that the 30-day extension – to November 10 – they had granted the commission at the summit to complete its work meant the soldiers would have to remain detained without being charged for even longer. The Lesotho Defence Force Act stipulates that they should not be detained without being charged for more than 42 days.

Human rights groups have complained that the soldiers have already been in detention for more than 70 days.

In a statement on Monday night, Mosisili’s office said the Lesotho Defence Force should be at liberty to proceed with the court martial because the soldiers had already appeared in a court of law when their relatives won habeas corpus orders requiring the army to produce the detainees to show they were still alive. He said SADC’s extension of the commission’s terms of reference made it necessary to proceed with the courts martial.


The soldiers were not charged in a civilian court.

A South African government delegate who attended the closed summit session on Monday afternoon, where Sunday night’s decisions of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation were confirmed, said new SADC chairperson Ian Khama had come down hard on Mosisili. Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe handed over the SADC chairmanship to Khama on Monday.

President Jacob Zuma, who had chaired the organ until this weekend, also “became quite irritated”.

“Lesotho wanted to contest some of the commission’s terms of reference, saying it was out of line with their Constitution,” he said.

But Khama wasn’t having any of that. “He said he isn’t interested in their Constitution and that the SADC decision was final.”

Mosisili queried why the word “provisional” appeared in the terms of reference, but Khama made it clear that this didn’t mean the terms of reference were up for debate.

“[Khama] said to him it was provisional in SADC, but final for Lesotho and they have to take these terms and reference as they are and go and gazette it,” the delegate said.

Mosisili had already angered SADC’s Lesotho mediator, South African deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, by attempting to gazette SADC’s terms of reference together with those suggested by his own government.

The full SADC summit decided on Monday that the terms of reference of the commission would not be extended “due to financial and tie constraints” as well as the expertise and the competencies of the present commissioners, Mosisili’s office said in a statement.

The Southern Africa Litigation Centre, a Johannesburg-based rule of law advocacy group, recently expressed concerns that the Lesotho government wanted to extend the terms of reference of the commission of inquiry to re-examine the appointment of the Judge President of the Court of Appeal, which could pave the way for appointing the controversial and criminally-accused former Chief Justice of Swaziland, the organisation said.

The government also wanted to examine various decisions, some of them administrative, taken by former prime minister Tom Thabane.

The independent commission of inquiry was appointed by SADC leaders last month and is headed by Botswana judge Mpaphi Phumaphi.

Its mandate is probe the recent killing of Mahao by soldiers, allegations by the government of a mutiny plot in the army, as well as the tension between the police and the military. – ANA

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

It’s the end of an era in Lesotho

A political obituary for Thomas Thabane

Events in Lesotho point to poor prospects for political stability

Since the demand for resources far outmatches the patronage available, Lesotho’s political arena has become brutally competitive

Murders plague Lesotho politics

The prime minister has been questioned by the police, plunging the country into another crisis

Goodbye to the godfather of Lesotho politics

Pakalitha Mosisili has been the pre-eminent power broker for decades. What will the Mountain Kingdom look like without him?

Shaun’s new job: Murder in Lesotho

SA’s former NPA boss will prosecute the Mountain Kingdom’s most politically sensitive case

Remembering the moment that SA soldiers marched into Lesotho

Christopher Williams reflects on Nelson Mandela’s nuanced views on the use of armed force
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday