‘Guptas offered me Finance Minister position’ – Mcebisi Jonas

Deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas has confirmed that members of the Gupta family did offer him the job of finance minister.

In a statement released late on Wednesday afternoon Jonas said:  “Members of the Gupta family offered me the position of Minister of Finance to replace then Minister Nene. I rejected this out of hand. The basis of my rejection of their offer is that it makes a mockery of our hard earned democracy, the trust of our people and no one apart from the President of the Republic appoints ministers.” 

The statement comes after a report in the Sunday Times said Jonas had been offered the job by the Gupta family in November last year.  

Finance minister Nhlanhla Nene was axed from the post on the December 9 and replaced by little-known ANC MP Des Van Rooyen. President Jacob Zuma was forced to replace Van Rooyen, by appointing Praving Gordhan, a few days later after the Rand went into free-fall and there was an outcry by business and the wider public.

In the statement Jonas clarified that he had not had discussions with the deputy secretary general of the ANC, Jessie Duarte, about replacing Nene.  “I have hesitated to speak out publicly on this matter until now, but I feel it is no longer possible to remain quiet,” Jonas said  “Of primary concern to me is that this issue has a real danger of diverting attention away from the real and urgent challenges we face as a country.” 


The revelation comes at a time when there is a growing outcry, from within the ANC in particular, over the influence the Gupta family is believed to have over the Zuma administration. 

Former MP Vytjie Mentor added fuel to this fire earlier this week after she made allegations that Gupta representatives had offered her the post of minister of public enterprises after Barbara Hogan was removed from the post. After Jonas’s statement was released Mentor said on her Facebook page “Viva cde. Mcebisi Jonas! The truth shall set us free!”

Read more here: Deputy Minister of Finance Mcebisi Jonas’ statement

Follow @mailandguardian on Twitter for updates.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

No one is above the law, Constitutional Court tells Zuma

The former president has been ordered to obey the Zondo commission’s processes

Healthcare workers’ vaccines will be free

The Covid-19 vaccine has been declared a public good, which means that healthcare workers will not be expected to pay for it

Ms K describes ‘separate and discrete’ SSA command structure to...

Ms K’s and Mr Y’s affidavits and testimony have alleged a picture going back to 2008 of how the former president and his aides worked — and allegedly abused the SSA

RECAP: New allegations of how the former head of the...

Day two of State Security Agency testimony at the Zondo commission birthed more revelations that point to the former head of state and agents breaking the law
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…