Treasury blocks Eskom’s Tegeta contract

Picture: By Susan Comrie (amaBhungane)

The Treasury has blocked an attempt by Eskom to hand a Gupta company an R855m extension to a coal contract without an open tender.

Previously, the same contract was loaded with a R586m extension that Eskom controversially paid up front. The contract is with Tegeta Exploration and Resources for the provision of coal from Optimum Coal Mine, which it acquired from Glencore earlier in 2016, to Arnot power station in Mpumalanga.

Tegeta is majority-owned by the Guptas, their associate Salim Essa and Duduzane Zuma.

Eskom’s failed attempt comes amid fierce blows between it and the Treasury over alleged favouritism towards the Guptas.


Tegeta’s original contract to supply Arnot with coal was awarded at the end of 2015, valued at R235m. At the time, Tegeta was in the process of buying Optimum Coal from Glencore. In April, just days before Tegeta was required to make a large payment on the acquisition, Eskom extended the contract by the R586m paid up front.

Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan had raised concerns about this with Eskom,  according to a Treasury statement on Monday.


“Recommendations”


AmaBhungane understands that Eskom chief executive Brian Molefe wrote to Treasury three weeks ago requesting permission to extend the contract once more, this time by another R855m.

On Wednesday, Eskom confirmed that the Treasury had denied its request, and that the Tegeta contract had not been extended.

Spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe said: “The National Treasury did not approve the request to extend the contract, but made certain recommendations, which Eskom is in the processes of implementing.”

AmaBhungane understands the Treasury’s “recommendations” included that Eskom should source the coal from a range of potential suppliers and not just Tegeta. Had the deal gone through, it would have meant Tegeta scoring a cumulative R1.7bn to supply the Arnot power station, without participating in an open tender.

Although Eskom declined to comment on the terms of the proposed extension, it would presumably be at the same original price of R19.70 per gigajoule, one of the highest prices Eskom pays for coal.

Tegeta’s coal contracts with Eskom are the subject of a Treasury investigation. When Eskom was confronted about  the R586m prepayment to Tegeta in June, it issued a statement saying that: “All the Tegeta coal contracts with Eskom have been extensively audited by various agencies, including National Treasury.”

But on Monday, the Treasury said that director general Lungisa Fuzile had written to Eskom, instructing it to withdraw its statement, as “clearly that was not the case”.


Winning bidder


Although both Eskom and Tegeta have repeatedly stated that the contracts were arms-length, Tegeta has undoubtedly benefited from a series of inexplicable delays in Eskom awarding a long-term supply contract for Arnot.

Until the end of 2015, Arnot was largely supplied by Exxaro as part of a 40-year cost-plus contract.

Citing the need to source cheaper coal, Eskom ended Exxaro’s contract and issued a request for proposals (RFP) in August 2015.

When bids for the Arnot contract closed in October 2015, Tegeta and, it appears, Optimum Coal were not among the bidders.

Eskom has said that as a result Tegeta, which now owns Optimum Coal, could not be awarded the long-term supply contract.

Eskom was due to announce the results of the RFP before the end of 2015, but failed to do so, and instead appointed seven short-term suppliers, including Tegeta.

In January,  Phasiwe told Fin24: “The winning bidder or bidders will be announced before the end of this quarter.”

That did not happen, and instead Eskom quietly signed extensions with two of the four remaining suppliers, Tegeta and Umsimbithi. Eskom later justified this decision by saying that it was an emergency, as it had a large supply shortfall.

In April, Phasiwe told Business Day that the contract would be awarded by June.

In May, he told MiningMx that Eskom could not award the contract, because no single supplier could supply the full requirement.

In June, when City Press pointed out that the bid did not require a sole supplier, Phasiwe said Eskom might sign with multiple suppliers, but that the contract would be awarded by September.

Phasiwe said on Wednesday: “The evaluation of this RFP is concluded, and a contract for the supply of coal to Arnot Power Station is imminent.”

It is not clear why, if the bid were finally to be awarded, Eskom tried nevertheless to extend Tegeta’s contract.

Treasury said, in line with an earlier statement by Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown, that it was “looking forward to resolving the matter inter-departmentally”.


The amaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism produced this story. Like it? Be an amaB supporter and help us do more. Know more? Send us
a tip-off.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Susan Comrie
Susan Comrie
Investigative Journalist at amaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…