Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

New Sassa crisis looms as it goes back to drawing board on grants

The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has announced that it will now restart its process to secure the payment of social grants after it found that the South African Post Office (Sapo) could not fulfil its requirements.

Mark Barnes, the chief executive of Sapo, has called Sassa’s latest comments “incorrect and inaccurate”. Barnes said he will appear in Parliament on Tuesday, where he will set the record straight on Sapo’s capabilities.

After being absent for numerous meetings in Parliament, social development minister Bathabile Dlamini held a press briefing in the Eastern Cape on Monday – just two days before she is set to answer oral questions in the National Assembly.

Dlamini said that during the procurement process to strike a deal with Sapo, a realisation was made that the Post Office could only provide one of four services.

In order to provide the other three services, Sassa would have to reopen the process and award a contract to another party.

The four services Dlamini says Sassa requires are:

  • provision of integrated payment system
  • banking services
  • card body production
  • provision of cash payment services

Sapo, according to Dlamini, is only able to satisfy the first service.

What Sassa is now proposing is that the bidding process be reopened on November 3 2017. She says it will conclude in the “last week of February 2018”. That leaves less than a month for Sassa to adhere to the Constitutional Court’s deadline for it to secure a grants payment service provider.

The Sassa cards, on which beneficiaries receive their grant payments, are scheduled to expire in December 2017. Sassa has no way to renew the cards and deliver them to beneficiaries, but Dlamini has said there should be calm.

I wish to stress that no card will expire come December 2017,” Dlamini said.

In the meantime, Sassa has just four months to find a new service provider to pay grants. In March 2018, the agency’s extended contract with its current service provider Cash Paymaster Services will expire as per the Concourt’s deadline. The contract was earlier declared invalid, but has remained due to Sassa’s inability to find an alternative service provider or insource the required services. 

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

South Africa’s mothballed ‘supermall-ification’ sets strip malls up for success

Analysts agree that the country has enough malls and that, post-Covid, the convenience of local centres lure customers

Mabuza’s Russian jaunts and the slippery consequences of medical tourism

For more than five years the deputy president has remained steadfast in his right to travel abroad to receive medical treatment

More top stories

Deputy president Mabuza begs Tshwane voters: ‘Don’t abandon the ANC’

Angry Atteridgeville residents hurl insults at ‘dysfunctional’ ANC full of ‘corrupt individuals’ as Mabuza fails to placate them with party T-shirts and doeks

Taxi operators clash with cops over disputed Route B97 in...

Three suspects remain in custody following their arrest on charges of attempted murder and assault after eight taxis were impounded

SA teens, you’re next in the queue for a vaccine...

Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 will be able to register to receive their Covid-19 jab from 20 October. This group will be given only one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, for now

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell dies aged 84

The 84-year-old died as a result of complications from Covid-19
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×