Public Protector’s ABSA bailout report set aside

The Public Protector’s Bankorp-CIEX report, where ABSA was ordered to pay R1.125-billion, was set aside on Friday by the Pretoria High Court.

In a devastating ruling to the protector the court set aside her report, as well as the remedial action she recommended and ordered her to personally pay some of her opponents’ legal costs.

Justice Cynthia Pretorius in handing down judgment ordered Mkwebane to pay 15% of the Reserve Bank’s costs in her personal capacity. The rest of the 85% will be paid by her office. Her office also has to pay the costs of ABSA on an attorney and client scale, including the costs of three counsel.

The case had seen Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane and the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) face off in court.

The Bankorp-CIEX matter was heard at the North Gauteng High Court in December over three days before a full bench of judges including Pretorius, Judge Nomonde Mngqibisa-Thusi and Judge Dawie Fourie.


It relates to the report Mkhwebane released in June, where her findings called for ABSA to repay R1.125-billion for a lifeboat provided to Bankorp by the Reserve Bank during the apartheid era. Both the SARB and ABSA had filed court applications to have the court review the report and set it aside. The SARB particularly sought a declaratory order that Mkhwebane abused her powers.

During the court proceedings Gilbert Marcus SC for ABSA, argued that Mkhwebane failed to adhere to procedural fairness. Mkhwebane had refused ABSA’s request meet with her prior to the publication of the final report. He also said that she met with Black First Land First (BLF), which was a strong opponent of ABSA and took the stance that ABSA should repay the debt.

In response, Mkhwebane’s lawyer Paul Kennedy SC had argued that if the court granted the declaratory order it would prepare the ground for the Public Protector to lose her job. – Fin24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Yolandi Groenewald
Yolandi Groenewald
Yolandi Groenewald is a South African environmental reporter, particularly experienced in the investigative field. After 10 years at the Mail & Guardian, she signed on with City Press in 2011. Her investigative environmental features have been recognised with numerous national journalism awards. Her coverage revolves around climate change politics, land reform, polluting mines, and environmental health. The world’s journey to find a deal to address climate change has shaped her career to a great degree. Yolandi attended her first climate change conference in Montreal in 2005. In the last decade, she has been present at seven of the COP’s, including the all-important COP15 in Copenhagen in 2009. South Africa’s own addiction to coal in the midst of these talks has featured prominently in her reports.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Feathers fly over proposed wind farm’s impacts on great white...

The project poses a risk to declining great white pelican population at Dassen Island

Covid triggers crypto collectables boom

These one-of-a-kind digital collector’s items are being sold for unprecedented prices

Crisis response and accountability: Should leaders’ gender matter?

Women leaders are lauded for their handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, but the data is often cherry-picked

ANC North West factions fight on

Premier Job Mokgoro’s hearing begins despite move to stop it by party secretary general Ace Magashule
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…