Abrahams in Concourt to fight for his job

National Director of Public Prosecutions Shaun Abrahams will today fight to keep his job in the Constitutional Court.

Abrahams filed an appeal at the highest court in South Africa after the Pretoria high court last year declared that he should vacate his office.

The court made this order after it found that President Jacob Zuma had unlawfully removed Abrahams’ predecessor, former NDPP Mxolisi Nxasana in May 2015.

At the time, Nxasana accepted a settlement payment of R17.3-million.

The Pretoria high court ordered Nxasana to pay back the settlement and ruled that his removal was invalid. The court further ordered that, as a result, Abrahams’s appointment as NDPP, following Nxasana’s invalid exit, was invalid.


The then deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa was ordered to appoint a new NDPP within 60 days to replace Abrahams.

The Constitutional Court will now hear two appeals on Wednesday: one will be Abrahams appeal against the Pretoria high court ruling which declared his appointment invalid.

The second appeal will be from Nxasana, who said that the Pretoria high court’s refusal to accept a late affidavit he filed in those proceedings meant he was denied access to fair justice. Nxasana argues that the Pretoria high court made a ruling on him without hearing his case.

Abrahams is currently under pressure to announce if President Jacob Zuma will face prosecution for 18 charges related to the arms deal. The proceedings today, and Abrahams attempt to secure his job, could affect when Abrahams makes the announcement.

The Constitutional Court will hear the case at 10am. 

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Raeesa Pather
Raeesa Pather
Ra’eesa Pather is a Cape Town-based general news and features journalist.
Advertising

Eastern Cape schools to only open for grades 3, 6...

The province says the increase in Covid-19 cases has made it re-evaluate some decisions

Malawi celebrates independence day, but the first president left his...

The historical record shows that Malawi’s difficulties under Hastings Banda were evident at the very moment of the country’s founding

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday