Zimbabwe’s bid to rejoin Commonwealth

On Monday, the Commonwealth announced that Zimbabwe has applied to rejoin the group after leaving the organisation 15 years ago.

Secretary-general of the group Patricia Scotland received a letter from Zimbabwean president Emmerson Mnangagwa on May 9 which included the request. Scotland was pleased with the request. “I wholeheartedly echo the sentiments of Heads of Government who have said twice that they very much look forward to Zimbabwe’s return when the conditions are right,” she said.

“Zimbabwe’s eventual return to the Commonwealth, following a successful membership application, would be a momentous occasion, given our shared rich history.”

The decision comes after Mnangagwa replaced longtime ruler Robert Magabe in November 2017 after his resignation. According to a Commonwealth press release, Zimbabwe joined the organisation when it gained independence in 1980. In 2003, Mugabe pulled Zimbabwe out of the Commonwealth, stating that it was an “evil organisation,” according to EWN.

In order to rejoin the organisation, the Commonwealth states that Zimbabwe, “must demonstrate that it complies with the fundamental values set out in the Commonwealth Charter, including democracy and rule of law plus protection of human rights such as freedom of expression.”

The group has also announced that it is invited to attend Zimbabwe’s upcoming elections, which will occur in July. Since becoming president, Mnangagwa has received both praise and criticism. During his presidency, Mnangagwa has ordered arrests of corrupt Zimbabweans, removed police roadblocks and created jobs. Criticism comes from the apparent slowness of progress being made in the economy.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday