NSFAS board dissolved as Carolissen steps in

Minister of Higher Education and Training Naledi Pandor has officially appointed Dr Randall Carolissen as the administrator of the National Student Financial Scheme (NSFAS), following the dissolution of the NSFAS board, a government gazette published on Tuesday announced.

In accordance with Section 17A (3)(a) of the NSFAS Act, the board was dissolved as of August 21 — the date of Carolissen’s appointment.

According to the gazette Carolissen as the administrator, will take over the management, governance and administration of NSFAS.

Carolissen’s duties include overseeing the opening of the 2019 application process and “all necessary” forensic investigations, address the institutions operational challenges and put in place management controls to ensure the 2019 student funding cycle is managed appropriately.

In May, the Mail & Guardian reported that nearly half of the students who had been approved for bursaries and grants by NSFAS, a number totalling 110 756, had not received their funding which led to protests at Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth, Maluti college in the Free State and the University of Limpopo.


Pandor said that NSFAS had failed to confirm students’ funding and disburse funding timeously, the gazette noted.

READ MORE: Payment delays anger students

For the last two years, the department and experts in the education sector have provided NSFAS with support. But the institution has continued to face challenges with its business processes, IT systems and policies.

“The failures and delays at the entity have had a serious effect on undermining the effective functioning of the entity in carrying out its core mandate,” said Pandor.

Carolissen will have the power to appoint the “necessary technical expertise” for the year he administers NSFAS.

Read Carolissen’s full terms of reference below:

Randall Carolissen

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments

Locally built ventilators ready in two weeks as Covid cases...

The companies making the non-invasive devices, which will create jobs and are cheaper than other types, include car and diving manufacturers
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday