Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

At least two dead in Soweto clashes with foreign nationals

The shooting of a teenage boy allegedly by a foreign store owner has sparked violence in Soweto as tensions between locals and foreign nationals in the area came to a boil on Wednesday.

A second person has died in the unrest. Colonel Lungelo Dlamini told the Sowetan newspaper that one person was killed in White City and the other in Molofo. 

“One was shot while the other had a stab wound,” he added. 

Three suspects have been arrested for murder and twelve have been arrested for public violence, said member of mayoral committee for public safety in the City of Johannesburg Michael Sun,  

“We are extremely concerned,” Sun added. “We also need to ensure that any enforcement of laws are done properly by the lawful law enforcement agencies

According to media reports, the store owner opened fire on people allegedly breaking into his business earlier on Wednesday, killing the teenager in the process. Media reports said that the community members made their way into the store to remove stock amid rampant claims of foreign store owners selling expired foods and items with fake labels on them.

The community responded to the death by looting the shop and assaulting the owners.

Police spokesperson Mpande Khoza told EWN: “We’ve opened a case of murder. No one has been arrested so far. The situation is very tense, and the police are in the area trying to monitor the situation.”

Police are currently patrolling the area to quell the violence and the looting of spaza shops.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more details emerge

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×