DA considering legal action against ANC for “stolen” slogan

On Friday, the Democratic Alliance (DA) issued a statement saying it intended to serve the ANC with a cease and desist letter to stop them using the slogan “One South Africa for all” ahead of the May national and provincial elections.

The DA says it was the first party to use this tagline since launching its election campaign in September last year. The party claims the ANC stole the slogan after it was used by an official ANC Twitter account last week.

The tweet has since been deleted.

The ANC has denied these claims, saying that the DA had not yet launched its election campaign containing the slogan.

DA national spokesperson Solly Malatsi responded saying: “This is an outright lie as we launched our election campaign on 22 September 2018. The DA will also be demanding an apology from the ANC for stealing the slogan.”

“The sheer lack of originality by the ANC shows that they have nothing to offer South Africans and is further motivation for our people to punish the ANC at the polls,” Malatsi added.

Malatsi on Monday confirmed that the ANC had responded to the DA statement and that they were “waiting for the ANC to formalise their response.” Graham Charters, DA deputy chief of staff, confirmed on Monday that the DA is considering issuing the ANC with a cease and desist letter.

After the ANC manifesto launch on Saturday, DA leader Mmusi Maimane said the DA was the only party pursuing “one South Africa for all.”

“At a time of acute racial division in our country, the President offered no leadership on how we can come together as a country and build One South Africa for All. The DA is the only party pursuing the vision of shared prosperity.”

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Police intelligence surprised by July unrest ‘modus operandi’

Minister of police only receives information from national commissioner that relates to him, commission hears

Revenue Service appeals to ConCourt to keep Zuma’s tax secrets

The high court ruled banning the release of tax information was unconstitutional. Sars disagrees, saying is not only wrong but makes an exception of the former president

ANC halts mayoral elections in Limpopo

The party’s provincial secretary says the appointment of new mayors will wait until dispute investigations are completed

Shabir Madhi: SA scientists were responsible when announcing Omicron

But the virologist urges caution before scientists make blanket public announcements that can lead to ‘hasty’ international decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×