Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Gordhan: Radioactive leaks at Koeberg were ‘negligible’

Koeberg Nuclear Power Station released radioactive waste into the environment in three separate incidents in 2014 and 2015, but the quantities were “negligible” and fell under the threshold that would have made it necessary to notify the public, Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan has said in a Parliamentary reply.

Gordhan was responding to a written question from Freedom Front Plus MP Corné Mulder.

Mulder had asked whether there had been any incidents at South Africa’s sole nuclear power plant since January 2014 which could have caused the leakage or spillage of radioactive waste into the environment. Mulder also wanted to know if the surrounding residential areas were warned.

Gordhan, in response, confirmed there had been three incidents where “negligible” amounts of radioactivity either were, or were assumed to have been released through an “unmonitored pathway” in 2014 and 2015.

The dates were May 2014, and October and and November 2015.

‘No impact’

However, Gordhan said the levels released were such that “there was no impact to staff, members of the public or the environment”.

“Assessments [concluded] that the maximum amounts of radioactivity that could have been released were well below any regulatory limit and did not require a response or notification of the public,” Gordhan said.

He said the three incidents were all reported to the National Nuclear Regulator and “thoroughly reviewed” by Koeberg to identify the causes and take corrective action.

Corrective steps were immediately implemented.

“Releases to the environment are closely monitored and have to respect regulatory limits.

“Any release that is unmonitored is taken seriously and would be treated as a leak or spillage of radioactive waste,” Gordhan said.

The FF Plus, in turn, said it was not satisfied with the answer.

“The party will keep a close eye on the situation in the future to ensure that all irregularities and/or leakages are communicated to the public at once, no matter how insignificant they may seem,” it said in a statement. — Fin24

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Marelise van der Merwe
Marelise Van Der Merwe
Marelise van der Merwe and Daily Maverick grew up together, so her past life increasingly resembles a speck in the rearview mirror. She vaguely recalls writing, editing, teaching and researching, before joining the Daily Maverick team as Production Editor. She spent a few years keeping vampire hours in order to bring you each shiny new edition (you're welcome) before venturing into the daylight to write features. She still blinks in the sunlight.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

How to apply for the Covid-19 R350 grant

Asylum seekers with valid permits and caregivers will now also be allowed to apply for the reinstituted social relief of distress grant

IEC publishes 27 October election date as required by law,...

A report by former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke opens the possibility of a postponement

Serame Taukobong appointed as Telkom’s chief executive designate

The telecommunication group’s current chief executive, Sipho Maseko, will step down at the end of June 2022

Zambia should commit to tackling toxic lead mine’s legacy

Residents of Kabwe have been poisoned for decades and now UN experts have called for an urgent clean-up
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×