Rashford agrees new four-year deal at Man Utd

Marcus Rashford committed his long-term future to Manchester United on Monday by agreeing a new four-year contract with the option for a further year.

The 21-year-old’s previous deal was due to expire in 2020 and the England striker had attracted interest from Barcelona among others across Europe.

However, United have reportedly committed to a bumper contract worth £250 000 a week to ensure that Rashford remains at Old Trafford.

Rashford has scored 45 goals in 170 appearances since breaking into the United first team as an 18-year-old.

“Manchester United has been everything in my life since I arrived here at the age of seven. This club has shaped me, both as a player and as a person, so it is such a privilege every time I get the opportunity to wear the shirt,” said Rashford in a club statement.


Rashford has been handed a more prominent role since Ole Gunnar Solskjær replaced Jose Mourinho as manager in December.

And Rashford hailed the Norwegian’s influence for keeping him at his hometown club after a previously stormy relationship with Mourinho.

“I want to thank Ole and his staff for everything they have done for me; they are the perfect group of coaches to learn from as I continue my development and look to push on to the next level,” added Rashford.

“I will be giving everything I have to help get this club back to where it belongs and deliver the success that our fans deserve.”

United are in need of a major rebuild after finishing sixth in the Premier League last season to miss out on Champions League qualification.

However, Solskjær is keen to construct his squad around a core of young British talent and, after the signings of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James, retaining Rashford is an another important step in the right direction for the Red Devils.

“Marcus is one of the most talented English players of his generation,” Solskjær said.

“He is an outstanding player; blessed with natural pace and energy.”

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertising

Labour minister paints four bleak scenarios for the UIF if...

The fund has been selling assets to make Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme payouts

AG’s report reveals the municipalities where money goes to waste

Municipalities are in complete disarray, with many of them flagged by the auditor-general for deliberate lack of accountability and tolerance for transgressions by political and administrative leadership while billions are squandered.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday