In a statement on Wednesday afternoon, Winde confirmed that he had started experiencing flu-like symptoms at the weekend.
The 55-year-old premier declared that he is in a vulnerable group of South Africans, because he is also a type-two diabetic.
“I know I am at a higher risk of developing a more serious illness. I, therefore, went to be tested to determine the cause of the symptoms,” Winde said.
The premier said his symptoms were mild, comparing them to that of a cold.
Winde said he has reached out to people he has come into close contact with since three days before he began experiencing symptoms. He has advised them to self-quarantine for the next 14 days.
On Friday last week, Winde spent the day with the Stormers Rugby team at the Brackengate field hospital, helping to move beds at the 338-bed site.
Winde has been in touch with journalists who were at the event. In a text message seen by the Mail & Guardian, he asked casual contacts to monitor for any symptoms.
Also last Friday, Winde held a cabinet meeting. Only a few of MECS were physically present, and they all sat very far apart. Everyone who attended will self-quarantine.
The premier said he will continue to go about his work at his official premier’s residence at Leeuwenhof in Cape Town.
He plans to conduct meetings remotely, including a meeting with President Cyril Ramaphosa at a scheduled President’s Coordinating Council meeting on Thursday afternoon.
On Friday he will chair his second provincial cabinet meeting for the week.
Winde has also confirmed a digital media briefing for Thursday.
“I will use the opportunity to share medical expertise on diabetes as a high-risk category during Covid-19. As I am diabetic, this is something very close to my heart,” he said.
The Western Cape has borne the brunt of Covid-19 infections in the country to date. It currently accounts for 72 808 of the country’s 215 855 confirmed cases.