Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

New August 31 deadline for the last learners to return to school

The last group of learners is expected back at school on August 31. 

This information comes from an amendment published on Tuesday in the Government Gazette by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga. The gazette follows an announcement made by the department on Thursday that only three grades would return to school on Monday July 6. 

This is despite a gazette by Motshekga on June 29, which indicated that grades R, one, two, three, six, 10, 11 and some schools for children with special needs would open on July 6. 

On Thursday last week the department said that, after “careful consideration”, the Council of Education Ministers had decided only Grades R, six and 11 would open on July 6, as well as some groups of learners from special education needs schools. 

The council comprises the minister, deputy minister, director general, and all the education MECs and heads of departments.

The statement said other grades would be phased back during July. As per the June 29 gazette, the last group of learners was expected back at school on August 3. 

But, according to the gazette on Tuesday, grades three, 10 and some groups of learners with special education needs will now return to school on July 20. This means some schools for learners with special education needs that had already opened on July 6 will now have to close until July 20.  

The gazette adds that grades one and two, including junior groups of learners with autism, will now open on July 27. Grades four and nine, including senior groups of learners with autism, will now open on August 17. 

The last groups to come back will be grades five, eight, and grades four and five for learners with severe intellectual disabilities on August 31.

In cases in which provincial authorities thought they couldn’t bring certain grades back to school, the report said they would have to send a report explaining their reasoning to the minister. Such reports must also provide new proposed dates. 

Eastern Cape schools did not open for the three grades that were meant to return on Monday. 

On Sunday, the Eastern Cape education department’s superintendent general, Themba Konjane, issued an instruction that grades three, six, 11 and certain groups of learners in special needs schools will return to school only on July 20. 

Konjane said this was necessitated by the increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in that province.

The province added that grades four, nine and 10, as well as other groups of learners from special education schools will return on July 27; grades five, eight and other learners with special education needs will go back on August 3. Classes for grades one, two and grade one for learners with severe intellectual disabilities would start on August 10, and grade R and grade R for schools for learners with severe intellectual disabilities on August 17. 

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Bongekile Macupe
Bongekile Macupe is an education reporter at the Mail & Guardian.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against the...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

Micro-hydropower lights up an Eastern Cape village

There is hidden potential for small hydropower plants in South Africa

More top stories

Oxygen supplies in Gauteng remain stable amid third wave

More than 1 500 patients in Gauteng are currently on oxygen assistance

‘Corrupt’ SAA sale to be challenged in court

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa says the organisation is seeking an urgent application to set aside the sale of SAA to Takatso

Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against the...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

Gigaba denies he allowed Gupta allies to strong-arm SAA into...

The former minister was confronted with testimony that the airline was bullied, including by his special adviser, on his watch
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×