Alleged underworld figure arrested after high-speed chase in Cape Town

A notorious businessman and alleged underworld figure has been arrested after a high-speed chase on Thursday afternoon in Century City, Cape Town. In a joint operation between the Hawks and the National Task Team, which was executing six warrants of arrests in the Western Cape, four suspects were arrested in total.

In a statement released by the Hawks, the arrests relate to conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder of an advocate and murder of a police officer, as well as gang-related extortion, kidnapping and intimidation in the Milnerton area. 

During the arrests, two vehicles, a Mercedes and a Toyota Hilux, were stopped and searched, during which three unlicensed firearms were seized. 

Police Minister Bheki Cele welcomed the arrests.

“This breakthrough must be congratulated, more so because we have always maintained that the murder of Lt-Col [Charl] Kinnear was no random act, but a callous act that’s part of a conspiracy which is being exposed by the work of the police. We also expect more arrests to follow,” reads the statement. 

The names of the suspects have not yet been released; they are known to the Mail & Guardian, but cannot be named until they have appeared in court.

The arrests follow widespread speculation about alleged involvement by underworld figures in the murder of top cop Lieutenant-Colonel Charl Kinnear. The anti-gang unit detective was assassinated outside his home in Bishop Lavis, Cape Town, on 18 September 2020.

Kinnear’s wife, Nicolette, told the M&G: “I know there have been arrests made, but I can’t confirm for which cases.”

Nicolette was hesitant to create the expectation that the arrest might be linked to her husband’s murder and that progress is being made in the case. 

Earlier this month, alleged underworld figure Nafiz Modack was named during a court case relating to a hand-grenade incident outside Kinnear’s house in Bishop Lavis on 23 November 2019.

The Daily Maverick reports that state prosecutor Blaine Lazarus told the court that Modack ordered the hand-grenade hit on Kinnear. Lazarus mentioned that a meeting during which the hand grenade plan was allegedly arranged was held on 14 November 2019.

This court case is ongoing in the Parow regional court and will continue on Friday 30 April.

Meanwhile, the four suspects arrested on Thursday will appear on Monday in the Cape Town magistrate’s court.

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Eunice Stoltz
Eunice Stoltz is a general news reporter at the Mail & Guardian.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Matric class of 2021 showed resilience, says Independent Examination Board...

Pupils had to adjust to a new way of learning in 2020 when the Covid-19 pandemic hit

Inflation accelerates to highest rate since 2017

Elevated inflation has become a stubborn feature of the global economy’s recovery from the Covid-19 slump and central banks have been forced to react

Judge Hlophe rules parliament fire accused’s psychiatric observation unlawful

Zandile Mafe's referral for psychiatric observation has been set aside and Western Cape Judge President John Hlophe has ordered that he be released immediately to a correctional facility.

How to keep SAA, PetroSA, Eskom away from politicians

The state capture report reveals a governance crisis at state-owned entities. Experts weigh in on how this came to be and what to do about it.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×