Reinforcements dispatched to Gauteng to finalise election results

The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has sent reinforcements to Gauteng to assist the province with capturing the counted votes in order to expedite the finalisation of the local government elections results. 

Despite declaring on Tuesday morning that 90% of the election results would be finalised by Tuesday evening, the IEC said at a briefing on Wednesday afternoon that it had finalised 79% of the expected results.   

But IEC commissioner Granville Abrahams rejected contentions that the institution was late in delivering the results, saying that the commission was still within the seven-day period stipulated for finalisation in the Municipal Electoral Act. 

Abrahams outlined a complex election verification process, which he said included independent auditors at all capturing sites to verify the results. 

He added that 96.9% of the result slips had been captured with the remaining 3.1% needing to be captured in sites in KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo and Gauteng. 

“We have, however, expedited [the Gauteng process] by providing additional capacity as far as the capturing phase is concerned. So, the capturing phase should be done very soon,” Abrahams said, without providing a timeframe. 

He said the finalisation of results was at 79% because the IEC did not want to rush its auditors in their processes

Abrahams refused to admit that the results were late, despite the IEC having said that the results would be finalised by Wednesday. 

“No, we are not late. In terms of [the] legislation, the results must be announced within seven days. In fact, we can also approach the electoral court if we require more time. 

“So, we are not late.”

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Khaya Koko
Khaya Koko is a journalist with a penchant for reading through legal documents braving the ravages of cold court benches to expose the crooked. He writes about social justice and human-interest stories. Most importantly, he is a card-carrying member of the Mighty Orlando Pirates.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

The Opera Virgin attends ‘The Marriage of Figaro’

Opening one’s mind to new artistic disciplines could provide enlightenment to glorious new pursuits.

What’s behind the vulture poisonings in Kruger and Chobe parks?

People poison vultures for various reasons, including a belief that they can see into the future and to stop authorities from being alerted to poaching

Kenya’s Ruto declared president-elect amid results chaos

Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati said Ruto had won almost 7.18 million votes (50.49%) in the August 9 vote, against 6.94 million (48.85%t) for his rival Raila Odinga.

Kenya vote chief declares Ruto president-elect

The deputy president has been declared the winner of the close-fought election, despite several commissioners rejecting the results
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×