No image available
/ 4 September 2007
South African opening batsman Loots Bosman will miss the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup after he was ruled out with a back injury on Tuesday. Bosman injured his back when he dived into the boundary boards during a one-dayer against Zimbabwe last month.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
White women should be struck off a list of groups recognised as previously disadvantaged in terms of the employment equity legislation, the Black Management Forum said on Tuesday. In its written submission, the forum requested that the current employment equity legislation be amended to exclude white women as beneficiaries.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
The extent of illegal border crossings from Zimbabwe into South Africa has been exaggerated, according to a migration-studies report released on Tuesday. The report said: ”Recent statements by officials and media reports exaggerated the numbers of Zimbabweans moving across into South Africa or already in the country.”
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
A South African court sentenced a German man to 18 years in prison on Tuesday but suspended the jail term after he pleaded guilty in a case involving a global black market in atomic weapons technology. Gerhard Wisser, an engineer living in South Africa, was accused of having ties to a network run by Abdul Qadeer Khan.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
The embattled Pan Africanist Congress (PAC) has suffered a further blow with the defection of its deputy president Themba Godi and two MPLs to the newly formed African People’s Convention (APC). Godi’s move to the APC was announced by National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete at the start of proceedings on Tuesday.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) and the Young Communists League took issue on Tuesday with African National Congress national chairperson Mosiuoa Lekota over his remarks about those singing the freedom song, Umshini Wami. ”We respect comrade Lekota’s views but we disagree with them strongly,” Cosatu said in a statement.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
Former National Intelligence Agency director general Billy Masetlha and his two co-accused, software specialist Muziwendoda Kunene and IT specialist Funokwakhe Madlala, had their fraud case postponed in the Pretoria Commercial Crimes Court on Tuesday. The case was postponed to October 1 for trial and plea.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
Former Hard Livings gang leader Rashied Staggie has decided not to testify in his murder trial in the Cape High Court. His advocate, Koos Louw, closed his client’s case on Tuesday morning without calling any witnesses. Staggie is charged with the August 1996 killing of taxi driver Mogamat Ryklief, allegedly in revenge for the slaying three days earlier of Staggie’s twin brother.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
Privileged to the end, the grand re-entry of Benni McCarthy into the Bafana Bafana squad for Sunday’s African Nations Cup qualifier against Zambia at Newlands Stadium will materialise on Wednesday — a day after the remaining South African players are due to be ensconced in their Cape Town camp.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
The JSE was a bit firmer by midday on Tuesday as a number of local deals buoyed sentiment for buyers. The local bourse was also getting positive direction from the FTSE, which was down in early trade, but recovered during the morning. By midday on the JSE, the all-share index was up 0,30%.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
A man who was recently released on bail, charged with allowing dog fights at his home, on Monday almost landed back in Pollsmoor Prison for arriving late at court. When Cape Town prosecutor Miriam Motsoahae called Wayne Browers’ name, he did not respond.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
South African banking group FirstRand plans to reduce its stake in health insurer Discovery Holdings, giving its shareholders a direct stake in the company, it said on Tuesday. The unbundling, for which FirstRand will seek shareholder approval, will improve Discovery shares’ liquidity on the Johannesburg bourse.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
South African international midfielder Gift Leremi (22) was killed after he lost control of his car and was flung out of his vehicle, Ekhuruleni Metro police said on Tuesday. Spokesperson Inspector Jimmy Maboko said Leremi was driving his BMW along the R556, between Vaal Road and Brackendowns, Alberton, at 9pm on Monday, when he lost control.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
The Gauteng branch of the South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) will go to the police to find out whether Sunday Times editor Mondli Makhanya applied for amnesty over political activities during apartheid, the organisation said on Monday. Earlier this month, Sanco asked the National Prosecuting Authority whether Makhanya had applied for amnesty from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
No image available
/ 4 September 2007
Sol Plaatje 2007: Relocated Mandelaville residents still live in shacks clinging to a hillside facing the Durban Roodepoort Deep mine dump — an aged, yellowing scar on the landscape. There is no electricity here, no direct access to clean water and no municipal services such as rubbish collection. But the view from Sol Plaatje is finally looking up.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
A nine-year-old girl was raped during a burglary in Monument Park on Monday, Pretoria police said. Captain Tessa Jansen said two men in their 20s broke into a 35-year-old woman’s house around 1am. They gained access by breaking a window and once inside they threatened the woman at knife-point.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
United Nations agencies urged governments in Southern Africa on Monday to draw up legislation to combat frightening levels of human trafficking, saying action was vital ahead of the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Specific legislation to tackle the issue was needed to help law enforcement agencies get to grips with the situation.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
A strike by some workers at Angloplat refineries and smelter has not curbed output, the world’s biggest platinum producer said on Tuesday. Other employees were still on the job after 1 500 members of the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) downed tools
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Measures to curb or control foreign ownership of land in South Africa are proposed in a government-commissioned report, a copy of which was obtained on Monday. A panel of experts call in the document for a two-year moratorium on foreign ownership of land.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
South Africa’s Telkom said on Monday it was in talks with Britain’s Vodafone and MTN, sparking talk it wants to sell its fixed-line business and its stake in cellphone operator Vodacom. Telkom gave no further details. Vodafone and MTN — sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest cellphone operator — said separately the talks were at a ”very preliminary stage”.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Police officers who reportedly took part in a meat free-for-all near King William’s Town last month have been cleared from any charges. The incident followed an accident in which a truck loaded with pigs overturned. Onlookers apparently then killed the pigs and police officers at the scene allegedly did not take any action.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
The former Auditor General (AG) of South Africa, Henri Kluever, has died, the office of the Auditor General announced on September 3. He had served in the post from 1993 to 1999 during transition in the country and at the time the institution gained independence and autonomy from the public sector.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
The floor-crossing saga took another turn on Monday as the African National Congress claimed control of the Drakenstein and Knysna municipalities. Meanwhile, the ID’s caucus leader in the Cape Town city council, Simon Grindrod, strongly criticised former ID councillor David Sasman, now leader of the National People’s Party.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
The South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) on Monday commended the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) for its ”brave and patriotic decision” to break ties with the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef). The SABC broke ranks with the forum in protest over its stance on Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Jake White’s Springboks were due to leave for the World Cup in France later on Monday in an upbeat mood in stark contrast to the disastrous build-up to the last edition in Australia. In 2003 there was general discontent in Rudolf Straeuli’s camp after players were sent on the infamous military-style Kamp Staaldraad, while claims of racism rocked the squad.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
The Merafong municipality has warned that urgent action is needed to save Khutsong from a potential sinkhole disaster. Residents live in fear of repetition of the August 3 1964 disaster in which 376 miners and a family of five disappeared into a sinkhole in Carletonville and were never found again.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
South Africa’s Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) fell to its lowest level in more than a year in August, but prospects were still positive, sponsor Investec said on Monday. The monthly measure of manufacturing activity dropped to 54,3 from 57,7 in July, largely due to a sharp fall in growth of business activity and slower sales growth.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Information and communication technology (ICT) in South Africa is expected to get a boost from the 2010 Soccer World Cup, with infrastructure providers and local government spending billions to ensure a successful tournament, according to key players at the recent ICT Journalist Media Forum.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Judge Nkola Motata was over the legal alcohol limit and abusive to police officers when arrested for drunken driving earlier this year, the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court heard on Monday. A daily newspaper reported the state as alleging Motata was ”at least” four times over the legal alcohol limit when arrested.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
South African captain Graeme Smith believes bowlers could play as big a role as batsmen at the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup his nation is hosting from September 11. ”I’m unsure whether batsmen are going to totally dominate. No one really knows what conditions are going to be like at this time of year,” Smith said.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
Police in Soweto were firing water and rubber bullets into a crowd of more than 500 angry protesters in Protea South on Monday. Protesters had begun barricading the main road at about 6am on Monday over poor service delivery. They were also vandalising lamp posts and throwing stones.
No image available
/ 3 September 2007
The schooling of about 15Â 000 children in the Northern Cape is to be disrupted, South African Broadcasting Corporation news has reported. This follows a decision by the provincial department of education to merge several schools in the Frances Baard municipal district.