Car bomb kills 26 in Baghdad book district

A car bomb ripped through Baghdad’s booksellers’ district on Monday, killing 26 people and setting shops and cars ablaze on the street and sending out choking black smoke that hampered rescue efforts.

A police source said the blast on Mutanabi Street killed 26 people and wounded 54.

”There are many shops set on fire and more than 15 cars were burned out,” said a Reuters witness, adding that he helped several injured women into a police car that took seven casualties away to hospital.

”They were covered with blood,” he said.

Iraqi and US forces are in the third week of a major security crackdown in Baghdad aimed at stemming sectarian violence. A big increase in the number of troops on the streets and checkpoints appears to have reduced death squad killings but US commanders say car bombs remain a problem.

The police source said a second bomb exploded in Bab al Muadham Street, very close to Mutanabi street, around the same time. It was not immediately clear how many casualties there were from that explosion.

”I’m up on the roof now, there’s black smoke everywhere,” the witness on Mutanabi Street told Reuters by telephone, adding that ambulance sirens were sounding and the street below was in chaos, with pools of blood on the street.

”There was so much smoke that I was vomiting,” said the witness, who was in a book shop on the street when the windows were blown out by the blast.

Monday’s blast was the most deadly in the capital since February 25 when a female suicide bomber killed 40 people, mainly students, at a Baghdad college.

Sadr city push

More than 1 000 US and Iraqi troops launched a pivotal incursion into a Shi’ite militia bastion in Baghdad on Sunday, meeting no resistance as they searched homes for illegal weapons and carried out patrols.

The operations in Sadr City, stronghold of the Mehdi Army of anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, could test Iraqi and US determination to enforce a security crackdown regarded as a last attempt to stop Iraq sliding into all-out sectarian civil war.

A US military statement said 600 American and 550 Iraqi security forces backed by American Stryker armoured vehicles took part in the operation. It said no one was detained nor any weapons caches found. There was no violence.

The young firebrand al-Sadr, a key supporter of Shi’ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, has criticised the crackdown and said it will fail as long as US forces are involved.

Raids had been expected in Sadr City after US and Iraqi commanders met community leaders last week to give them advance warning of the incursions and to seek their support.

Many members of the Mehdi Army are either lying low or have left Baghdad, unlike in 2004 when the militia twice rose up against American forces. Washington calls the Mehdi Army the greatest threat to Iraq’s security.

Residents in Sadr City said checkpoints that used to be manned by Mehdi Army fighters had melted away, replaced by Iraqi army and police who were ensuring that every car entering the area was thoroughly searched. – Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Tunisia struggles to grow more wheat as Ukraine war bites

Since the Ukraine war sent global cereal prices soaring, import-dependent Tunisia has announced a push to grow all its own durum wheat, the basis for local staples like couscous and pasta.

Democracy under serious and sustained attack from within the US

Far-right Republicans and the conservative supreme court are working on a carefully laid plan to turn the US into a repressive regime

Grilling for UK leader Boris Johnson after top ministers quit

The prime minister has faced lawmakers' questions after two of the most senior figures in his government resigned. The finance and health ministers said they could no longer tolerate the culture of scandal

Declare an ‘energy emergency’, says National Planning Commission

The commission said the goals of the National Development Plan, which it is charged with advancing, ‘cannot be achieved without energy security’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×