Top businessman takes over McDonald’s SA

One of South Africa’s most prominent and politically connected businessmen is taking over McDonald’s restaurants in the country, McDonald’s said on Thursday.

The announcement did not say how much Cyril Ramaphosa is paying for a 20-year master franchise agreement to run all 145 McDonald’s restaurants in South Africa. The statement said that unlike a conventional franchisee, Ramaphosa would own all the assets, including owning or leasing the real estate. Customers won’t notice any change, McDonald’s said.

Ramaphosa is a former union leader who was African National Congress general secretary during the constitutional negotiations that ended apartheid in 1994. He went on to found an investment empire with interests that include a power plant, a Coca-Cola bottler and mines. He remains a leading figure in the governing ANC.

Thursday’s statement from McDonald’s said Ramaphosa was “familiar with local dynamics and market conditions.”

Chris Gilmour, an analyst at South Africa’s Absa Asset Management who follows the fast food business, said McDonald’s has struggled since opening its first South African restaurant in Johannesburg in 1995. One sign of trouble came last year, when South Africa was the first African country to host the World Cup, soccer’s premier international event.


McDonald’s was a World Cup sponsor, but did not serve food at the stadiums or fan parks.

In Thursday’s statement, McDonald’s South Africa Managing Director Greg Solomon said: “McDonald’s South Africa is a strong and robust business, and we’re confident in its future with Mr. Ramaphosa as its new owner.”

Ramaphosa said he was honored at the opportunity, and would “focus on satisfying our customers, developing our people and maximizing business opportunities”.

Gilmour, the analyst, said he believed McDonald’s had stumbled in South Africa by underestimating entrenched local fast food chains, and by opening restaurants that were too large and expensive for potential franchise holders to operate.

He also questioned whether McDonald’s fare suited South African palates.

“It doesn’t matter what operator you get on board, if there’s a fundamental disconnect,” Gilmour said. — Sapa-AP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

The case against Floyd Shivambu

The flow of money from VBS Bank would seem to suggest that the EFF’s second-in-command was an ultimate beneficiary of proceeds of a crime

Cabinet reshuffle rumours: Unlikely to happen any time soon, but…

Persistent rumours of a cabinet reshuffle may be jumping the gun, but they do reflect the political realignment taking place within the ANC

Gauteng responds to grave concern

The news of Gauteng’s grave site preparations raised alarm about the expected number of Covid-19-related deaths in the province

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday