Bulawayo business in peril

At Bulawayo’s posh Rainbow Hotel in the central business district, Zimbabwe’s youth, indigenisation and empowerment minister, Saviour Kasukuwere, shares a guffaw with the business executives sitting next to him.

But beneath the merry back-slapping at the Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI) meeting, the business leaders are anxious.

The large-scale closure of businesses in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe’s long-time industrial hub, has fuelled a new wave of uncertainty that now threatens the country’s economic recovery.

To avert a looming disaster Kasukuwere has launched the “Let Bulawayo Survive” campaign, a government attempt to revive the city’s ailing industrial sector. A seven member ministerial task force is expected to spearhead the campaign, which will kick off in earnest next month.

Perceptions are also growing in business circles that the government should be assisting distressed local enterprises, rather than single-mindedly seeking to grab foreign-owned mines under the indigenisation law.


The worst hit industries in Bulawayo include the motor, manufacturing and construction sectors. According to the latest findings by the trade and industry ministry, 87 companies have closed down and at least 20 000 workers have been made redundant since last year. The big names include National Foods, Astra Steel and Cotton Printers.

Analysing the closures, economists have cited under-capitalisation, the relocation of companies to Harare and investor anxiety created by the indigenisation laws. Undeterred, Kasukuwere reiterated the official line at the CZI symposium: that mining companies will not be reimbursed for the takeovers.

Speaking to the Mail & Guardian, Kasukuwere said: “I am not against foreign investors, but I am against foreign arrogance.

“For instance, Zimplats has threatened to pull out of the country in protest against the 51% takeover which it says is too high. They can pull out, because the Chinese and Indians are more than ready to move in, comply with the laws and mine our platinum reserves.”

He said: “We will not use jambanja [violent] tactics on anyone and give people the chance to discredit our empowerment drive as chaotic. All that the mines should do is comply with the indigenisation laws.”

An olive branch has been extended to mining operations to submit their indigenisation plans by June 2 instead of the initial May 10 deadline. Companies that fail to meet the deadline risk losing their operating licences.

It is understood that Kasukuwere’s ministry is now going through submissions by the mines to assess their feasibility. In recent months the share value of leading mining companies has fallen on the Zimbabwe stock exchange.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

The last hours of Solomon Mujuru

Zimbabwean General Solomon Mujuru died in suspicious circumstances in August 2011. This is an edited extract from his recently published biography by Blessing-Miles Tendi

‘Writing is about revelations and reversals’

In this essay novelist Yvonne Vera let us in on her writing process

What exile means to creatives

Clockwise from top left: Maurice T Nyagumbo, Ruth Nomonde Chinamano, Josiah Tongogara, Jason Ziyaphapha Manyika, Johanna Nkomo and Robson Manyika. The stamps appear in the book as a way of writing Zimbabwe’s lesser known political figures into the canon

Zimbabwe’s civic services on the edge

Doctors warn of  ‘silent genocide’ as strike enters tenth week

The day the dollar died, the music also crashed

Bulawayo’s cool jazz scene has been destroyed by the disastrous economy

Zimbabwe fire brigade on frontline after protests

Bulawayo's fire brigade should have 320 employees but is 70 people short because of budget cuts
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday