President Zuma denies interference in Mdluli case

President Jacob Zuma did not interfere in a probe into fraud and corruption claims against re-instated crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli, his office said on Friday.

“The president has nothing to do with the Mdluli investigation, it is an internal matter within the South Africa Police Service,” the presidency said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, the Mail & Guardian reported that information in a secret document showed Zuma played a role in getting Mdluli’s job back after he was suspended last year.

Allegations included that Zuma personally called inspector general of intelligence Faith Radebe to question her decision to refer criminal charges to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to investigate Mdluli.

It also alleged that Zuma attended a celebratory party which Mdluli allegedly hosted to celebrate the withdrawal of charges against him in December last year.

“These reports are a complete fabrication. The president has never called Radebe at any point, and anyone who says he did must produce evidence,” the presidency said.

“The president knows nothing about an Mdluli celebratory party and never attended such a party.”

Mdluli was suspended in May last year after murder charges were laid against him.

Following this, fresh charges relating to fraud and corruption in the abuse of crime intelligence funds were levelled at him. But these were provisionally withdrawn in December.

In February this year, the NPA announced that the best way to deal with the murder charges against Mdluli was through a formal inquest, not a trial.

Earlier this week, Mdluli’s suspension was lifted.

Police declined to give reasons for this, saying it was an internal matter that would not be discussed in the public domain. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

‘Frustrated’ police resort to force

Regulation uncertainty leaves slap-happy police and soldiers to decide when people should or shouldn’t be allowed on the streets

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders