Out! ANC upholds Julius Malema’s expulsion

Julius Malema’s expulsion from the ANC has been upheld, the ruling party’s national disciplinary committee of appeals announced on Tuesday.

Late on Tuesday evening committee chairperson Cyril Ramaphosa said Malema’s appeal against his expulsion, which was handed down in February, was dismissed.

This marks the formal end to disciplinary proceedings against the controversial youth leader, which began in August last year.

Malema was originally found guilty by the national disciplinary committee (NDC) of sowing divisions within the ruling party in November last year and was sentenced to a five-year suspension from the ANC.

He was found to have done so by unfavourably comparing the leadership style of President Jacob Zuma to that of former president Thabo Mbeki, and for remarks on bringing about regime change in Botswana.


His suspension was turned into an expulsion after Malema appealed the sentence and the NDCA granted the young firebrand and the ANC the opportunity to argue in mitigation of the original sentence.

The NDCA also upheld league spokesperson Floyd Shivambu’s original three-year suspension. This was decreased from the five-year revised suspension that was handed down by the ANC national disciplinary committee after arguments in mitigation of sentence were heard.

League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa was not as lucky as Shivambu as he was slapped with a one-year suspension, after initially receiving a three-year suspended sentence.

Although this marks the end of internal disciplinary action against Malema, the avenues to challenge his expulsion have not been exhausted. The young firebrand’s next port of call would be asking for a formal review of the process by the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC).

However, this would be a tall order as he would first have to convince the NEC his case is worthy enough to be heard by them.

He would then have to garner the support of over half of the ruling party’s main decision body in accordance with section 12 of the ANC constitution.

While support has been evident for Malema among some of the ANC’s top brass, initial indications show he would struggle to put together sufficient numbers to have the decision returned to the NDC.

Additionally, getting the matter on the NEC meeting’s agenda will be a challenge as it involves applying to ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, who determines the programme.

This does not bode well for Malema as he has often called for Mantashe to be replaced at the next ANC elective conference by former league president Fikile Mbalula.

Malema can also attempt to have his sentence quashed at the ANC’s next elective conference in Mangaung in December.

This would involve tabling a motion to nullify all disciplinary charges against him to voting delegates at the conference.

As per section 11.3 of the ANC constitution, the conference is granted the power to “review, ratify, alter or rescind” any decision taken by the ANC or its constituent bodies. But with him no longer able to attend the conference, this looks considerably unlikely, so it would involve him having to facilitate the process by proxy through other ANC members.

His former comrades may also now be hesitant to support a political persona non grata.

If these recognised avenues to challenge the expulsion fail, Malema could count on the youth league sticking with their decision to disregard the NDC’s ruling completely.

On several occasions, the league has said it would defy any sanction handed down to Malema as the ANC must “inform and convince” league members of the decision to institute disciplinary action.

It would be dangerous territory for the youth league as the ANC’s top six leaders — including President Jacob Zuma and Mantashe — have the power to dissolve the youth body, and call a fresh elective conference.

The ruling party’s national disciplinary committee of appeals (NDCA) ruled on Malema’s appeal against his expulsion handed down at the end of February.

For more news and multimedia on ANC Youth League president Julius Malema click here.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Nickolaus Bauer
Nickolaus Bauer is the Mail & Guardian's jack of all trades news reporter that chases down stories ranging from politics and sports to big business and social justice. Armed with an iPad, SLR camera, camcorder and dictaphone, he aims to fight ignorance and pessimism through written words, photographs and videos. He believes South Africa could be the greatest country in the world if only her citizens would give her a chance to flourish instead of dwell on the negativity. When he's not begging his sub-editors for an extra twenty minutes after deadline, he's also known to dabble in the occasional poignant column that will leave you mulling around in the depths of your psyche. The quintessential workaholic, you can also catch him doing sports on the weekday breakfast show on SAfm and presenting the SAfm Sports Special over the weekend.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Marcia Mayaba —Driven to open doors for women

Marcia Mayaba has been in the motor industry for 24 years, donning hats that include receptionist, driver, fuel attendant, dealer principal and now chief...

The war on women in video game culture

Women and girls make up almost half of the gaming community but are hardly represented and face abuse in the industry

More top stories

Gatvol Capetonians, EFF lash out at City of Cape Town...

Public infrastructure was allegedly damaged by the activist group in 2019 and by the Economic Freedom Fighters in 2020

Masuku loses appeal against SIU report on Covid graft

The judge found that when news of improprieties were brought to his attention, Masuku did not take steps to urgently intervene

Leaking De Ruyter’s affidavit countering racism claims was ‘malicious’ and...

Mkhuleko Hlengwa has pointed to people in Eskom or the public enterprises department for making the document public

SABS ‘contemplates’ 170 retrenchments to save R150m

Salaries account for 65% of the South African Bureau of Standards’ total operating‌ costs
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…