Zuma is still paying off his Nkandla home

He said on Thursday it could not have been the reported R250-million.

"I don't know this amount of money [or] where it went to because it cannot be so much," he said, adding that cost control for public works was not his job.

He said he was still paying a bank bond for the five family buildings that form part of the compound.

"My residence … has been paid for by the Zuma family. All the buildings and every room we use … was built by ourselves as family and not by government. I have never asked

government to build a home for me, and it has not done so."

Zuma said violence in KwaZulu-Natal had led to his home being burnt down twice, and that he decided to extend the last rebuilt version while he was still deputy president. "Then government came to say they now have to include the security features to my residence. By the time the government came the constructors were on site that had been enlisted by the family."Investigations into possible mis-spending or overcharging by the auditor general and public protector must be respected, Zuma said in the written version of his reply to a question by Democratic Alliance parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko on whether construction would be halted. In answering a series of follow-up questions, however, he said it would make sense to have such investigators "screened", because "in no country are these kind of matters discussed in public".

Construction on his property would continue, he said.

"Should the investigations unearth wrongdoing of any kind, the necessary actions will be taken, as we have done in respect of irregularity in other instances."

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Phillip De Wet
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

The Blue Train’s great Gupta voyage – and the whistleblower...

In 2016, Prinsloo sounded the alarm about the hazardous condition of the Blue Train and free trips being offered to friends of Transnet executives, including the Gupta family and Duduzane Zuma.

Provincial political jostling is in full force as the ANC...

There will be losers and winners as the provinces prepare for their elective conferences and slates are sealed. Find out who is trading.

It’s a Khaltsha thing: Khayelitsha’s growing middle class

In a few years the township will ‘disappear’, and Khayelitsha will become a city, believes one local entrepreneur

Locust fighters in a losing battle in the Nama Karoo

Expert calls for a radical rethink of how South Africa manages brown locust outbreaks.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×