Judges deny appeal application for Waterkloof two

The latest attempt by two members of the so-called Waterkloof Four to stay out of jail was dismissed by the North Gauteng High Court on Monday.

Judges Hans Fabricius, Ephraim Makgoba and Wendy Hughes denied an application by Reinach Tiedt and Gert van Schalkwyk for leave to appeal against an earlier ruling that they return to the Zonderwater Prison.

The judges granted an order to Correctional Services Minister Sibusiso Ndebele that any further applications for leave to appeal not suspend the previous order.

They gave Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk – who have been under house arrest for almost two years – until noon next Monday to report back to the Zonderwater Prison.

The two, along with Christoff Becker and Frikkie du Preez, were sentenced in January 2005 to 12 years' imprisonment for murdering a man in a Pretoria park in 2001.


They started serving their sentences in August 2008 after an unsuccessful appeal.

Return to jail
A Pretoria magistrate converted Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk's sentences to correctional supervision in December 2011 after an application by the Parole Board.

Correctional services appealed against the decision and a full bench of the high court ruled in June that the magistrate's ruling had been based on an error in law and that the two must return to jail.

The judges found that Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk were not entitled to parole if more than five years of their sentence remained.

Their lawyer Jaap Cilliers SC, argued it would "ruin" their lives if they had to go back to jail when there was a chance that an appeal might eventually succeed.

Fabricius said nothing new had been put before the court and that six judges of the high court had already interpreted the relevant statutory provisions in the Criminal Procedure Act in the same manner.

"There is in my view no reasonable prospect that another court will come to a different conclusion," he said.

They were free to apply to the Supreme Court of Appeal or even the Constitutional Court for leave to appeal, but the rule of law required that they return to prison.

Severe punishment
Van Schalkwyk said in an affidavit their private and business lives would be gravely and negatively affected if they returned to prison.

A social worker said in a report that correctional supervision was in fact a severe punishment in itself.

Fabricius said this argument was "absurd", having regard to a prison regime that the social worker herself described as difficult and harsh in effect while the accused in contrast lived under almost normal circumstances on a daily basis.

"As our judgment said: a prisoner is not lawfully entitled to parole if more than five years of his/her sentence remains.

"That is what the Criminal Procedure Act says and that is what this case is all about," he said.

"We must apply the law and the respondents must know, if they read our judgment, that our reasoning is based on that fact.

"The public must know it and every single prisoner as well. It is in the interest of justice.

"We are not concerned with possible exceptions relating to rehabilitation, family life, employment opportunities, et cetera. The law applies to all," he said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

R2.3bn VBS trial expected to only begin in 2022

The state is expected to request a 16 week-long trial, as delays stymie progress in the saga.

Spy boss tells how agency was used to detain Zuma’s...

Day two of State Security Agency testimony at the Zondo commission birthed more revelations that point to the former head of state and agents breaking the law

Covax will take excess doses of Covid vaccines off the...

The global initiative plans to deliver two billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to developing nations

Eastern Cape citizens don’t have to visit the labour department...

This measure, aimed at slowing the spread of Covid-19, may shortly be introduced in other regions.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…