Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

‘Well-behaved’ Waterkloof Four to get parole

In line with the law on parole, the so-called "Waterkloof Four" will be released in February, the correctional services department said on Thursday.

"Legislation spells out that when an offender completes 50% of their jail term, they can be considered for parole on condition that they completed internal correctional programmes and are well-behaved," said spokesperson Manelisi Wolela.

Reinach Tiedt, Gert van Schalkwyk, Christoff Becker, and Frikkie du Preez would be released on February 11, he said.

They were sentenced to 12 years each for murdering a man in a Pretoria park in 2001.

Correctional supervision
Last year, the high court in Pretoria ordered Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk back to Zonderwater Prison after they were released under correctional supervision.

A full bench of judges set aside district magistrate Peet Johnson's ruling of December 15 2011, to convert the men's prison term to correctional supervision.

An application had been brought by the minister and the correctional services department commissioner to set aside Johnson's order.

Wolela said the four were well-behaved and had completed the mandatory internal programmes.

"We have very strict parole conditions. Any deviation from those conditions may result in their parole being revoked," he said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×