Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

The Waterkloof Four: It’s water under the bridge, boys

A vendor gives me directions to the ­sloping, triangular park, roughly the size of a football field, in the suburb of Moreleta Park in ­Pretoria East. It is a short, uphill walk to the west of the open-air taxi rank, via meandering, narrow ­suburban streets.

The park is in need of a trim, and is marked by footpaths, one cutting through its centre towards the rank and another one snaking towards the line of pine trees framing its northern edge.

In the week that the Waterkloof Four walked out of jail, in what felt like a strange pilgrimage, I visited the park in which they murdered a homeless man 12 years ago.

A resident on the nearby Tanya Street, who said he moved in after the murder, told me the park was overgrown at the time of the attack. According to vendors and some taxi drivers at the rank, all they knew about the man’s identity was that he was Mozambican.

Although bare and ragged, the park is surrounded by palatial housing, wide curbs, electric fences and sprinklers that spray out into the streets.

These are the houses Gert van Schalkwyk, Reinach Tiedt, Christoff Becker and Frikkie du Preez claimed they were protecting when they accosted their homeless victim on the night of December 1 2001. They became known as the Waterkloof Four, because that is where their ­ill-fated night began.

The four – aged between 14 and 16 – had been to a party and then to a Hatfield nightclub on the night of their crime. Two cars, with a total of seven teenagers, left the nightclub and drove south east to Constantia Park, where they kicked and beat a man outside a gym, according to media reports at the time. They then drove to the park, where they encountered their eventual victim and a number of other men. At their trial, the four said they believed the "suspects" to be in possession of stolen goods.

They caught their victim hiding behind a tree, and proceeded to beat, stab and kick him.

The man later bled to death, having suffered a deep stab wound to the leg and two gashes to the head.

The incident came to light only about 18 months later, after the other three teenagers told their parents what had happened. The parents called the then deputy head of the National Directorate of Public Prosecutions, Jan d’Oliveira, who ordered a full investigation.

The other teenagers turned state witness, but Van Schalkwyk, Tiedt, Becker and Du Preez first appeared in court on August 2003.

At their court appearance, prosecutor George Pieterse alleged that he had been followed by unknown young men in a car, who demanded that he give them the docket. The men, said Pieterse, chased him for about 15km, but he eventually evaded them. Later that night, he had received a call from a man ­offering to buy the docket.

On their first court date, it also emerged that the boys had threatened witnesses, and Becker’s father was asked to leave the court after making threatening gestures from the public gallery. Still, the boys were granted bail. In June 2005, all four were found guilty and, in May 2008, their Pretoria high court appeal was turned down.

In his appeal judgment, Judge Willie Seriti said: "When one takes into account the weapons that the appellants used [including a ­hammer] and the fact that they failed to get him to hospital despite the fact that he was injured and he asked them to assist him, they had ­intention to murder him.

"When he asked for medical assistance, accused number two [Du Preez], instead of assisting the ­victim, kicked him. Furthermore, the first appellant [Becker], when he telephoned the police, gave them the wrong information. If he had given them the correct information, their victim could have survived.

"Appellants one [Becker] and three [Van Schalkwyk] argued about whose fault it would be if the man died. They argued because they realised that the man was seriously injured and that his wounds could cause his death. Their actions were so brutal, they realised that the victim could die from the injuries he sustained."

During their trial, Van Schalkwyk and Tiedt continued to believe that the man who bled to death from his stab wound was not the man they had beaten in the park.

According to a report on the Independent Newspapers website, advocate Johan Kruger, the state prosecutor during their Pretoria high court appeal, said that none of the four had got in touch with him to enter into plea bargains.

Magistrate Len Kotze, in the Pretoria regional court where the matter was initially heard, called Becker "a self-confessed liar" of "astounding arrogance".

Nameless man
The man the Waterkloof Four murdered has never been identified. If a body is not identified, the state ­mortuary stores it for a minimum of 30 days while trying to ascertain its identity. The body is then buried at a municipal burial site.

The four emerged from the ­correctional services head office in Pretoria on the afternoon of Tuesday February 11. Their eligibility for parole was brought forward by six months, in terms of the special remission of sentences announced by President Jacob Zuma on Freedom Day in 2012. They served five and half years of their 12-year sentences in prison.

Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk’s 18-month reprieve from jail under correctional supervision was to be taken as time served.

The four were greeted by journalists enraptured in particular by Becker’s sculpted pectorals and department store chic. Their newly acquired muscular physiques were mentioned in reports, with some claiming Becker’s quads were visible beneath his jeans.

Some of the men’s friends brandished a banner with a photograph of the four stars from The Hangover movie franchise, with the words "Welkom terug Chrissie and Frikkie. Sit … sit, ons maak tee [Welcome back, we’ll make tea]". The Times newspaper quoted Jean van der Schyf, a friend of Becker’s for 11 years, as saying that he hoped the public would forgive the four as they had paid the price and learned their lesson.

He also promised lots of braaing, swimming and new Afrikaans music.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Kwanele Sosibo
Kwanele Sosibo
Kwanele Sosibo is the editor of Friday, the arts and culture section of the Mail and Guardian.

Related stories


If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here


Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…